PDA

View Full Version : Community tank

Gramazing
07-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I have a 55 gallon that is almost cycled. At the moment it has 8 juvenile zebra danios, a mystery snail and a small mystery fish (!) that the LFS accidentally scooped up with the snail. I think it's a platy but it's hard to tell as it's only about a centimeter long ATM. It has the flattened front face of a livebearer. I will try to borrow a camera from work and photograph it tomorrow and see if anyone can identify it.

Anyway, I'm new to this and I don't want to get ambitious, and besides the easy to care for fish are just as pretty to me. Even the danios, although they fairly plain are great fun to watch, the way they chase each other around.

When I'm ready to go I want to put in some platys and some albino cory catfish. The local mom and pop LFS has lots of both and they look very healthy and happy there. I've seen some in Petsmart and Petco that were dead and others that were almost. So I was thinking 6 of each. That's a pretty lean stocking I believe, but I don't feel the need to have umpteen different kinds of fish, and you can get a lot of variety just with platys alone.

The only other thing I'm thinking about is dwarf gouramis. They're so pretty. My question is, would they be okay with the zebra danios dashing around? Would one be content on its own, by which I mean not just ok, or should I get more? And if the answer to this question is yes, should it be 1 male/2 females? I have read that there needs to be more females than males (same with the platys too).

rich311k
07-20-2009, 02:00 AM
A dwarf gourami shoould do fine. Theydo well by themselves. The platys and corys will do well too.

VoidParadigm
07-20-2009, 03:52 AM
I don't know how well they'd do with platys but a Dwarf G. should have no problem with the corys. I've heard that some Gouramis can get a little stressed by the hyperactive antics of zebra danios. But it is a big tank, so there should be plenty of space for everyone to get away from each other if need be. My gourami only got bothered by my danios once when two of them zoomed out of a hidey hole straight into the larger gourami. He was flared up for a good ten minutes. :lol:

Gramazing
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Now I've been reading that Corys need a pH of 7 or less. Mine is consistently 7.6 and maybe even more, 7.6 being the max on the API chart that came with the kit.

Red
07-20-2009, 04:55 PM
7.6 is fine for cories, its what I keep all mine at.

Gramazing
07-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Kewl. Now I just wish my bloody nitrites would drop! I'm going away for a few days in a week and would like it to be done by then.