PDA

View Full Version : want to be a better betta daddy

rookie
07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
when i got my first aquarium about a yr ago my gf wanted to get two betta's so ever since then i have had the two in about a 5g split tank but i feel bad that i do so much research on other fish and none on them. ill try to keep this short but all we know is feed a small pinch once a day keep them apart and change the water with decoranated water when it looks dirty. can everyone please share everything you know. i know thats broad but that will get me to look more into it i dont even know if the ones i have are male female or anything. can i take the divider out if they are a certian sex. is there anyway i can include them with a community tank or do they have to be left alone ect. :help:

KingFisher
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I would put them in the 10 gallon with a divider once you move the angel. It will give them more room. Bettas need filters and heaters just like all other fish do. They like the temperature to be 78-80 farenheit. If they have long flowing fins, they are male, but because there are many different species out there, you should probably post pictures of them to know for sure. Some bettas are ok in community tanks depending on the other fish that are in there. There can be no fish that are aggressive or nippy, and the betta will attack any other similar looking types of fish with long showy fins.

rookie
07-18-2009, 10:45 PM
i wish i could keep the 10g but my gf promised it to her nefew which is a wast we all know that if daddy dont know about fish they are going to die i hope that they dont but that stinks. i got a 110g tank that i just need to poly the stand and then im going to set that up. anyway they both are males and i dont think that it would be a good idea to put them in the 110 because i will have my angel and im getting some congos i dont know if they count as long fins. why are bettas kept in small containers and without heat and filtration, what a huge misconception. :scry:

Little Embers
07-18-2009, 11:58 PM
I think this is a great read concerning the misconceptions surrounding bettas:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article38.html

bocrayfish
07-20-2009, 01:15 AM
its sad little embers just plain sad puddles man disgusting