PDA

View Full Version : Siphon Cyst?

katieo80
07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
hello ac! it's been a bit!

i have a beautiful, active, medium-size girl apple snail (salome) who seems to be having the time of her life, sharing a 4 gallon space with my crowntail betta (karl). she seems perfectly happy and healthy and eats like a...well, an apple snail. but i've noticed for the past few weeks, she's had a nearly spherical, flesh colored thing apparently lodged in her siphon. (her body color is a lovely pink, which is what i mean by flesh-colored.)

i looked at applesnail.net, and read a couple things about benign cysts happening on snails sometimes. it doesn't really seem to bother her, either, although i haven't seen her use her siphon lately when she cruises up to the waterline to check out the surface.

should i be worried? it looks suspiciously like betta pellet food, which is part of karl's diet, and i wouldn't be surprised if she enthusiastically stole some but got one lodged in her siphon. i also know that the siphon is not really an actual tube except when the snail is using it, so it seems like the thing should've fallen out by now.

any ideas? thanks ac! --katieo

Northernguy
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I would be surprised if she managed to suck in a pellet!At least I have never seen that with any of mine.
I wonder what you would do about that? This is a first for me!