PDA

View Full Version : Plecos on tank walls

deonild
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I had been considering a Bristlenose Pleco because I found 1 source awhile ago that said they eat algee more than 2 other types of 4-5" pleco's instead of just gravel sifting. One of those other plecos was the rubber lip. Now I'm thinkin that's not the best researching job and I'm putting some more thought into it. I'm going to have live plants and use Seachem Excel instead of co2 injection. I heard the Excel kills algee and asked but a pleco should still be on the wall occasionally, just to hang out or because there is a small amount of algee.
Can I get a few recommendations for which 4-5" pleco will spend the most time hangin on the tank wall? That's what I like about em. Also, just 1, not a schooling type.

KingFisher
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
That's just the thing about plecos. There is no guarantee they will hang out on the glass all the time. It just depends on whether they find another area they like better. The more you have, the more likely you will see one hanging on the glass. Check out ancistrus claro. They are small. so you might be able to fit more in your tank depending on tank size and current stocking.

deonild
07-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Now I am considering getting multiple plecos. I've got a 30 gallon tank with 45 gallon filter (240gph). I'll be getting 1 blue gourami and 12 2-3" schooling fish of 1 or 2 species. How many 3-5" plecos would be a possibility, 2? 5? Also, I suppose territorial needs would be a species to species thing, how are bristlenose on territorialness? I've seen a fairly mild-mannered BN scuffle on youtube, didn't look like they were trying to hurt each other, maybe playing.

Oscar_freak12321
07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
There are cases of aggressiveness between BNs, but at the same time people have kept whole schools of five or six of them together. It really just depends on the fish' behavior.