PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a 30g

kmw0004
07-17-2009, 01:09 AM
The tank was seeded and I have had my tank going for about a month, and I have a skilter, heater, powerhead, thermometer, about 40 lbs or more live rock, sand substrate, and a coralife light. I want this tank to end up being a reef tank. What other equipment should I include?

I have bought about 3lbs of live rock recently, but the other rock I had was bought a long time ago. I bought a 200gal system for $600. I now have a whole bunch of old rock that was set out in the sun to dry and then stored in my garage. I put a good bit in my tank and strategically placed small pieces of newly purchased rock in the aquarium. n02 and n03 are at 0, and I have 3 damsels, coral banded shrimp, brittle star, 2 nassarius snails, and 3 blue legged hermit crabs. I think I will slowly get rid of some of these critters and replace them with other reef-friendly organisms...

MCHRKiller
07-17-2009, 01:24 AM
I would invest in a better quality skimmer, the skilter is better than nothing but they arnt very efficient. BakPak 2s and AquaC Remoras are about the best for this size tank. How many watts is your lighting? Id also invest in some koralia pumps...2 nanos placed on either end should work nicely.

AABatteries
07-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Those 3 damsels are going to be constantly fighting. Damsels are very territoral and should be the last fish added.

kmw0004
07-17-2009, 08:07 AM
I am going to take out the damsels... they were the first fish I put in the tank after seeding it. I think I may get a percula clown and another fish of some sort, not sure what to get...

I have a 65 watt true actinic blue, and a 65 watt 10,000K. It was the best light fixture(and the most expensive) at the aquarium store. Do you think it will be enough for an anemone and perhaps some leather coral in about 6 months from now? I will continue to research before I get anything. I appreciate advice from people who have more experience. I don't want to kill something out of ignorance.

AABatteries
07-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Stocking wise, I'd get 2 clowns, 1 firefish, and a goby. Or maybe just a dwarf angel and a goby.

I have a light with the same wattage as that, on a 20g. I'd say no anemones, but yes for the leather.

labnjab
07-22-2009, 04:05 PM
The leather should be good if kept about midway up, but I don't think its quite enough light for a anemone

kmw0004
07-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Well... I suppose I will settle with some leather coral and not an anemone. Any other suggestions on other organisms for a tank this size?

labnjab
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Pretty much any LPS and all softies will work in that light.