PDA

View Full Version : need expert advice on smaller plecos

thezookeeper
07-16-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a twenty gallon tank with some dojo's and kuhli loaches, a couple of rainbow's and 3 upside down cats. My question is this, Is there a good algae eating pleco small enough for this tank. I have looked up some, but they are noted as not very good algae eaters. And the common plecos everybody around here has are way too big. I already have one of them in a 55. So I hope some of you can enlighten this old man as to what I need.:hmm3grin2orange: I would load it up with otto's but I just can't seem to keep them very long.:scry:

frank_zappa
07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
disclaimer: i am relatively new to this hobby, NOT an expert, not anywhere close. maybe a widemouth pleco would work in a 20? but im not even sure if you have room for that. dont the dojos get big?

rich311k
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Your bottom is loaded already. What kind of rainbows?

thezookeeper
07-17-2009, 01:42 AM
I realize the bottoms loaded up, just looking for some algae control and thought I would throw it out there, I would put nerite snails in except the dojo's would eat them. They are gold dojo's, not as large as the regular ones. There's one bose and one axelrodi rainbow in there. The last of 12 I had in a 45 awhile back.

toddnbecka
07-17-2009, 04:47 AM
I'd recommend swapping off the dojo's for a BN pleco. Dojo's are too active and grow too large for a 20, not to mention that they prefer cooler water that the others.

thezookeeper
07-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Well I like the dojo's, So I'm going to go buy a 55 gal and move them to it. Then I can put some nerite snails in the 20. Now when the 55 is mature enough for a pleco, what are some of the smaller ones that would be good for algae control. Don't want another common pleco cause the one I have in my current 55 is huge (12 inches long) Oh and thanks for all the advice so far. I really appreciate it.

Taurus
07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Bushy or Bristle Nose Plecos L-144. They grow to 4 inches in length. :22:

sparkybetta
07-25-2009, 04:47 AM
ya bristle nose plecos would work in my 55 i have a male betta and for alage control i have a rubber lip pleco and they only get around as big as a bristle nose there one of the smaller plecos and there easier to find:22: