PDA

View Full Version : how many??

hali_fish
07-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I have what I believe to be a pond snail that must have hitch-hiked into my tank on a plant. I read up some what on the snails and it says that some can be hemaphrodites. How many babies will one of these suckers pop out before they stop?? lol NO JOKE...every day, EVERY day, for the past week, this snail has spit out a baby. I actually had the luck of being able to witness it twice. And I am pretty sure it is a hemaphrodite because it is...was, the only snail in the tank.

Red
07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
The wont ever stop. If you dont want snails, start taking them out now. And dont stop until you find every single living one.

Wild Turkey
07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
There are most likely eggs already in which case only copper or tearing down the tank will get rid of them 100%, and you will probably accidentally introduce more eggs or snails later on anyway.

BUT

How much they breed is directly related to how much food is available.
If you reeaally do not want these bad boys, remove fish that would be sensitive to copper meds and dose some had-a-snail or similar. But, if you just dont want a zillion (they can be beneficial anyway) just watch over feeding, trim your plants well and scrape off and suck up any large outbreaks of algae.

Personally, I like mts so i introduce them to my planted tanks early so the ps cant really get a foothold, for all intensive purposes its another "pest" snail though; it depends on how you feel about them.

fishbum
07-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Get some assassin snails.Then when you are sure they have gotten all your pest snails,you can sell them.