PDA

View Full Version : Indian Almond Leaves...

Sarkazmo
07-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Was curious about the 'magic' plant so I ordered some leaves from Malaysia. Twenty leaves for $6 shipped and it took 14 days from order to delivery to WV, USA. The leaves are pretty large and look to be in pretty good shape. I've placed one whole leaf in my 10G and tore another leaf into approximately one square inch pieces, more or less. These pieces were added to all my smaller tanks, even my tiny red cherry shrimp tank. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Have any of you tried the leaves?

Sark

Paleofish
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I think every person that has had bettas for a while has tried it. lol:22:

But I have.lol! They really don't seem to do much other then to help with healing, Like torn fins, and other things like that. Plus lowering the pH and hardness.

I normally don't use it unless I am spawning them, cause like I said it helps the female recover.

the_K
07-20-2009, 07:42 AM
i raised bettas a long time without using the indian almond leaves but when i started to use them one of my bettas got sick i dont know if it was the leaves but it was doing good untel i used it but it didnt really help do anything with my other fish.... me personaly i just think all it does is turn the water a different color bucause it didnt seem to help my fish with color or keep them healthy like what i herd of.... ooh yea one thing did happend one of my HM look like his fins looked like it got thicker from it dats about it

Sarkazmo
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I've not seen any detrimental effects. All my tanks have part of a leaf to a full leaf for the 10g. I've not seen a change in water colour yet but it's only been a few days so far.

How long did you leave the leaves in? Did you do anything to prepare them?

Sark

korith
07-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I've used ial in my betta's tank after reading about all the positive things it does. I kind of like the look of a tank with tannins in it. Does seem to be a bit more at ease now in the tank as well. Can find people in various forums selling them cheap, also on ebay.

Sarkazmo
07-20-2009, 08:08 PM
I've used ial in my betta's tank after reading about all the positive things it does. I kind of like the look of a tank with tannins in it. Does seem to be a bit more at ease now in the tank as well. Can find people in various forums selling them cheap, also on ebay.

Yeah, I got mine from eBay. Good price too at $6 shipped for 20 leaves the size of my hand... and I've got big hands. It took exactly two weeks from order to delivery so it wasn't fast but it was coming from Malaysia!

How long did it take for you to see the tannins changing the water color?

Sark

korith
07-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I got mine from eBay. Good price too at $6 shipped for 20 leaves the size of my hand... and I've got big hands. It took exactly two weeks from order to delivery so it wasn't fast but it was coming from Malaysia!

How long did it take for you to see the tannins changing the water color?

Sark

I guess a noticeable change in about a week or so. You may want to remove the carbon from your filter that is probably why you are not seeing changes in the water.

Sarkazmo
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I guess a noticeable change in about a week or so. You may want to remove the carbon from your filter that is probably why you are not seeing changes in the water.

It's only been about 4 days or so. I don't run carbon so that's not an issue. I mean there's carbon in the filter inserts but the carbon's been long since used up, little more than something for bacteria to colonize for bio filtering.

Sark