PDA

View Full Version : Algae eaters?

mac
07-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Hey guys,

I am wondering if there is any type of Algae eater I can get for my 83 gallon Tang Cichlid tank?

Yes most of the Cichlids graze at the algae, but I am wanting something like a BN. But a fish from around the rift lakes that is able to do a similar job as BNs.

Any one have any thoughts?

Cheers,

mac

KINGMED
07-16-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't know exactly what type of Algae Eater your after but I know the most sought after is the true siamese algae eater. They are very similar to the flying foxes and false siamese algae eaters but only get about 6 inches long and eat most if not all types of algae. The true siamese algae eater is supposed to be very peaceful and enjoy being in groups as the others are aggressive to others of it's own kind and other fish when older and don't eat algae in it's adult hood. I have 3 young true siamese algae eaters with my pygmy cory's and want to get some more in a month or so. I believe the true algae eater has a black zagged line from the tip of the nose to the very end of the tail, no other colors in the tail or fins, + the true algae eater has 1 set of barbels (whiskers) instead of two sets like the others. I learned this by reading on line, I am hoping that the ones I have are the real thing, I believe they are but time will tell. If this ain't what your after then I'm sure others will chim in, also I'm not sure how they would go with your fish, best wishes in your search!

Oscar_freak12321
07-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Hmm...you could try a common pleco, but it may get killed after it is introduced. Of course if it reaches adulthood or you buy a mongo one it will have a better chance of survival. Common pleco is my vote.

Jacko
07-16-2009, 03:13 AM
I think you'd be better off with nerite snails, great algae eaters and they'd love the harder water of a tang tank.

I don't know of any native african rift lake pleco types... the cichlids usually do a pretty good job IME.

mac
07-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Yea fish like the SAE's and Flying fox wont really work. To much chance of them getting killed. And the pH is 8.0. So far to high IMO for them.

I try to find some snails then.

Cheers,

mac

rhonin
11-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I have one "algea eater" per tank just to keep this under control.

My 60 Malawi tank has an Avacado algea eater. Does a great job and while the mbuna's may bug him a bit he shrugs off their attention.
I also have upside-down cat for scavenging.

I did the same with my 30 gall german peacock tank. They are doing great.

I have a nursery tank where I have a 2.5" gold spot pleco.

All in all - I have found these type do well. Just make sure they have a crevice or two to hide away in when they want.

I reccomend staying away from the standard pleco or saimese algea eaters as they grow quite rapidly and become more of a pest (unless you have a large tank).

Best of luck!!