PDA

View Full Version : nasty tank

llamarama16
03-19-2007, 12:26 AM
i dont have very much money so i bought an aquarium secondhand from my teacher. it is nasty! there is a ring of brown stuff around the bottom quadrant. how can i clean this without using chemicals that could hurt my fishys???? :(

hungryhound
03-19-2007, 12:41 AM
welcome to the AC.

I am not that experienced in tank clean up but this is being discussed here. hope that this helps.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=4666

cocoa_pleco
03-19-2007, 12:59 AM
use some vinegar diluted with water and scrub.

congrats of the tank. My 10g acrylic salt tank was second hand, and i scrubbed it and it worked. My other 7 tanks were all new.

hockeyrat96
03-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Im kind of in the same situation. My dad had a 55g salt water tank, and he just gave it to me. It has a good amount of salt build up on the sides and just a bunch of random algae everywhere. Hopefully it wont be too bad. That link is really helpful though, thanks!

Drumachine09
03-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Im kind of in the same situation. My dad had a 55g salt water tank, and he just gave it to me. It has a good amount of salt build up on the sides and just a bunch of random algae everywhere. Hopefully it wont be too bad. That link is really helpful though, thanks!

As long as it is a glass tank, and you are very carefull, you can use a razor to scrape the salt deposits (or algea or said "brown stuff") off of the glass. I do it to my 10 gallon nano saltwater and my glass is always clean.

cocoa_pleco
03-19-2007, 02:25 AM
on my salt tank, its just meh. salt doesnt bug me. Its like a algae bomb.

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I had no luck using vinegar. It will clean up the glass nicely tho and maybe the brown stuff but for lime deposits, just good ol' stubbing. I have glass tanks so also use razor blades and a good stiff brush I have for fish tanks.