PDA

View Full Version : 5000 pound shark washes ashore.. in NY?

-Lp
07-15-2009, 03:12 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/US/07/14/new.york.shark.beached/art.shark.long.island.news12.jpg

Check it out here --> http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/14/new.york.shark.beached/

Northernguy
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Thats too bad!
You never know what they are going to eat in the oceans anymore.They are too full of crap that does not belong!

Red
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Thats not even a big one, second biggest fish next to the whale shark.

Goodbye
07-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I heard about this last night on the news.

Its sad! That one was not even that big yet.

frank_zappa
07-19-2009, 06:37 PM
from time to time these sharks are spotted off the beaches near me, and would you believe they actually shut them down for swimming?!?!? for a perfectly harmless animal. ive seen them before out on fishing trips. they are very cool

Oscar_freak12321
07-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Very cool, but sad on that note. frank, you say you've seen them on fishing trips...how big?

Kaz
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM
from time to time these sharks are spotted off the beaches near me, and would you believe they actually shut them down for swimming?!?!? for a perfectly harmless animal. ive seen them before out on fishing trips. they are very cool

Mybe for the absolute terror a 5000 pound fish can inspire.

Or maybe accidental damage, like it accidently hits a person with a fin.

Or maybe to protect the shark.

Oscar_freak12321
07-19-2009, 08:09 PM
That's a good point Kaz, didn't think about that. Many people would run screaming just from a jellyfish or something, but something ten times their size right next to them could possibly freak people out. :hmm3grin2orange:

jackson17
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Anyone know if its still there?!?!? I live 15 minutes away lol I wanna go see it

frank_zappa
07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Mybe for the absolute terror a 5000 pound fish can inspire.

Or maybe accidental damage, like it accidently hits a person with a fin.

Or maybe to protect the shark.

yeah, they dont typically swim up to people or go anywhere near them. when theyve seen them at beaches here it is usually several hundreds of yards away feeding on the surface. shutting down a beach because of basking sharks is just a panic move that makes people more scared of them. maybe they could just educate people a little instead of affirming peoples' ridiculous fears of them....i can see shutting down a beach for riptides, or jellyfish, or things like that, but not for a filter feeding shark.

if there is risk to the shark it would probably be from props on boats when it feeds up on the surface, so i could see maybe doing something to keep jetskis/water skiiers etc away from them...so yes, if it is to protect the shark, fine, but no swimmer is gonna get hurt

Northernguy
07-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Does anyone remember what happened at a lot of coastal beaches after jaws came out?
They had trouble packing the beaches for a few years after! lol
In this case it may be to protect people from hurting each other when that dorsel fin breaks the surface.It could also be to protect the shark.

frank_zappa
07-29-2009, 02:20 AM
there has been a boom in the seal population here, especially on cape cod, which was where jaws was filmed. we never used to have them here, except for in the winter, but now the seals are around all the time. i would think with that, there probably are going to be more of the larger predatory sharks around. they did have a great white swim into a salt pond on the cape a few years ago. basking sharks can be confused with them, so i can totally see them shutting down beaches initially, but they shut them down here even after they were positively identified as basking sharks. i suppose there are other reasons im not thinking of, but it just seems silly to me. it was years ago. if they were close to shore then yes, i can see shutting them down.

HorrorShowRot
07-29-2009, 02:51 AM
They shut them down. Incase somthing happens. Because then they are liable. And want to cover there bums.