PDA

View Full Version : Betta splendens on his own?

Rahneedanio
07-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Will a betta siamese fighting fish be alright on his own (without female company), or does he need a companion to keep him company?
He would be in the company of neon tetras, a few guppies, two loaches; as far as I've heard B.splndens don't attck small fish, is this true?
Also my other option is a pair of sailfin mollies, but I'm not sure I could feed them all the vegitable matter they need, and again about the guppies (they're still quite small).
Thanks for any advice!

gm72
07-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Bettas are varied in their temperament. Some tolerate company without any problem, others won't allow anything in their tank. You can try, but watch very carefully and be prepared to rehouse him in another tank should your attempt fail.

terrapin24h
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
add him last too, after all your other fish are in the tank. No gourami, and preferably no other surface/top water fish

--chris

Sharon
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
...and definitely no female company!:ssmile:

Jacko
07-15-2009, 03:50 PM
It is usually a bad idea to keep male and female bettas together unless you plan to breed them. Sometimes you have a male that'll tear apart the female, sometimes you have a female that will tear apart the male, it all depends on their personality.

I think so long as the tank is large enough for him to not have to bump into the other fish, he should be fine unless he's an excessively aggressive male..,
Also, watch him with the guppies, sometimes males have problems with bettas because of they have long flowing fins and the betta thinks they're another betta... or just gets annoyed by it lol

mac
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Will a betta siamese fighting fish be alright on his own (without female company), or does he need a companion to keep him company?

As Jacko stated it is best to just keep the male by him self for the safety of either himself or the females depending on temperaments, if you are not planning to breed.

He would be in the company of neon tetras, a few guppies, two loaches; as far as I've heard B.splndens don't attck small fish, is this true?

As for the Bettas attacking other fish it all depends on the Betta. One of mine was great. NEver bothered anything. While my tow others killed anything in the tank, even if it was larger than himself.

IME keeping Guppies with the Betta is a real no no IME.

As for the rest of the fish, if the tank is a fair size, and there is a ton of plants and places for the Betta to keep to him self all should be okay if you don't have a Betta like mine.

As for the Loaches I have found that they can tend to nibble at the flowing fins of Bettas. IMO I would not get them unless they are Kulies Loaches, and 2 would not be a large enough size school for Loaches. 5-6 fish is better.

Also my other option is a pair of sailfin mollies, but I'm not sure I could feed them all the vegitable matter they need, and again about the guppies (they're still quite small).
Thanks for any advice!

IMO I would just stick with the Tetras, and Betta, and or some Kulies. That would be all.

Just one question what size tank will it be?

mac

Rahneedanio
07-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate your advice. The tank is only about 16 gallons, but there won't be more than fifteen fish, all relatively small. :fish:

megastealer
07-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate your advice. The tank is only about 16 gallons, but there won't be more than fifteen fish, all relatively small. :fish:

What kind of fish? Most fish in pet stores are small because they are young but grow very quickly.

mac
07-16-2009, 08:59 PM

16 gallon tank would be great. IMO 6-7 Neon or Cardinal Tetras 1 Betta.
If you can try to find Corys like Pygmy Corys. They are great for small tanks IME.

Ohh great to see a southern man.:22: thumbs2:

mac

wolf_eyes
07-17-2009, 12:52 AM
If you can try to find Corys like Pygmy Corys. They are great for small tanks IME.

I love pygmy cories but i would be very nervous about putting them in with a betta. They're pretty darn small and might be looked at as food. From what I've read, they also can't take a hit too well so if your betta is an aggressive one they might be in trouble. They're a great little fish for peaceful tanks though

Jacko
07-17-2009, 01:25 AM
I love pygmy cories but i would be very nervous about putting them in with a betta. They're pretty darn small and might be looked at as food. From what I've read, they also can't take a hit too well so if your betta is an aggressive one they might be in trouble. They're a great little fish for peaceful tanks though

I've had habrosus with bettas, no problems with it... For the most part they inhabit different ranges, pygmaseus might be a problem since they sometimes school mid tank as well.