PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Red Oscars

TracyUK
03-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi, this is my first post here, having just purchased three oscars. I am a little concerned that we have bought three as internet info seems to suggest that three is not good! We were told by the fish shop that three would be fine. We have put them in a 4ft tank established along with two 4" parrot fish and one 6" pleco. The oscars are only small at about 2-2 1/2" long. The first question is, will they be ok for a year or so in a tank of that size? and secondly will three oscars be ok together? They were in the tank with the parrot fish at the shop and there were only the three of them otherwise we would have just bought two (didn't want to leave one on his own:confused: )

Thanks

AquaQueen
03-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Hello TracyUK, Let me start by welcoming you to the forum. I am not an expert but I do have two Oscars and from the questions I have asked I know that two oscars need like 100gals of water for the pair to be comfortable. I also know that they grow very fast...at least mine are, So I don't know if they will last very long in a smaller tank also keep in mind they are messy fish and will need lots of filteration and water changes to keep a clean tank. I know there are a few Oscar owners here on AC and some that just know how to care for them with very helpful info so keep checking back for more replies. Good Luck.

Fishguy2727
03-18-2007, 10:53 PM
How many gallons is the tank? If you are not sure list all three dimensions and I will figure it out for you. A four feet tank could be anything from 33 to 150 gallons. What filtration do you have? What is your water change schedule? What are you feeding? Did you hear that three oscars will get aggressive, maybe two will bully the other one? That is a case by case thing and does not mean you will have problems with yours, especially since yours will be together since they are very small.

TracyUK
03-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks Paulie, for the welcome and the info.

Reptile Guy, my tank is 4ftx18"x12" but I'm not too sure of how many gallons that is, maybe 55-60? I gave the dimensions to the fish shop and they said it would be fine. I knew we would need to get a bigger tank as they grow, but was hoping it would be fine for about a year.

TracyUK
03-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Oh, sorry, and I have a Fluval 2 and a fluval 3 plus, both in the same tank, one either end. I was planning to do a 25% water change each month, is that enough?

Fishguy2727
03-19-2007, 12:08 PM
That's 45 gallons. Is it 12" wide or tall? I would have a lot more filtration on there. On my 55 with African cichlids I have a Fluval 404 and 2 Whisper 60s. You may not need to go that overkill, but a lot more than you have. Water changes should be weekly. I would do at least 25% every week. If they are healthy and grow at a good rate, you probably have a year tops. What are you feeding them?

TracyUK
03-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Blimey, thats not good. Its 18 high. I was told that a 3 plus would be ample for a 4ft tank but decided to run the other filter aswell, so neither are enough? So my tank is overcrowded now already. I wish fish shops would be honest. I guess I'm now going to have to invest in a huge tank. How many litres would you recommend for the fish I have?

Fishguy2727
03-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Three oscars: 75 gallons absolute minimum and that if it is REALLY well taken care of. While they are still small it is one thing, but you need to get things straightened out while they are still smaller.

TracyUK
03-19-2007, 08:09 PM
So we need to be looking for 100gallon tank realistically then?

Fishguy2727
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, start saving now.

TracyUK
03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I've just found a tank locally thats 72"Lx 30"Hx 20"D that should be big enough shouldn't it? The only catch i have is that they are selling it with fish in it so I've mailed them to see if they would sell the fish seperatly first then let me buy the tank...its a possibility! Ironically the tank includes an oscar! lol with 9 large fish including various Catfish, chinese snake head fish, plus others. The chinese snake head sounds interesting!!

Fishguy2727
03-20-2007, 12:21 AM
187 gallons. Sounds big enough to me. Most people are underfiltered, so you may have to upgrade that. Snakehead is the last thing you want. Some of the other stuff may be fine though.

TracyUK
03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks thumbs2: . They have got back to me and I can buy the tank without the fish so am negotiating the price!! It comes with bogwood, rocks and all pumps, heaters etc. I'll let you know the filtration it has as soon as I know to see if its ok.

TracyUK
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi, I've put a deposit on the 6ft tank! It has a Fluval 403 with it plus two huge air pumps and two heaters. It also has all decorations ie bog wood and big rocks etc. Its a beautiful tank!

Can you tell me whats wrong with the snake head? He is in with a good sized oscar, and various sizes of catfish. They even have an angel fish in there which seems an odd addition! None of the fish have any fin damage at all and they all seemed very happy in there, with no bullies apart from the oscar, according to the owner!

Drumachine09
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.byrdultrafly.com/snakehead.htm

Nuff said.

TracyUK
03-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Oh:jaws: ok, maybe not then!! Is the angel fish ok with oscars?

Drumachine09
03-22-2007, 10:40 PM
It would be a good idea to eliminate the fish, if it comes into your hands. Maybeyou could fry it up too!

Fishguy2727
03-23-2007, 03:23 AM
What are the dimensions on the tank? You will need more filtraiton. I would just add a Fluval FX5, mine takes care of my 150 fine all by itself.

TracyUK
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi Reptileguy, its 72" x30"H x20"

would I need the FX5 as well as the 403?

Fishguy2727
03-23-2007, 10:07 PM
About 180 gallons. I would do the FX5 and at least the 403.

TracyUK
03-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh blimey, more money!! Just looked and they are 130+ :help: They guy we are getting the tank off has one large oscar with about 9 other decent sized fish and he only runs the 403 and said he never does water changes!!!! The oscar looks very healthy though.

Fishguy2727
03-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Than his fish are lucky to still be alive and healthy. His tank is so far an exception. Usually what happens when no water changes are done is the tank may be fine for a few years, then all of a sudden everything is getting sick and dying.

sxcsamman
03-24-2007, 09:31 AM
are u getting the fish with this tank???
well dont
the 3 oscars will max it out by them selfs oscars need a MINUMIN of 55 gallons each with 75 gallons each being preferable. or else youre gona get some horrible stunting. be carefull as 2 oscars will proborable pair up and attack the single one. a good site for info on oscars http://www.freewebs.com/oscarsam/oscarprofile.htm (ps. mind my spelling :))

Fishguy2727
03-24-2007, 12:44 PM
They don't need 55 each, just a 55 or 75 minimum for oscars in general, but that doesn't mean every one of them needs 55-75 gallons. A 180 is more than enough for three oscars and a few other things. Many fish will 'pair' off (whether or not it is a true pair is a separate issue) and be aggressive to a third in the tank, but that is a case by case basis. So keep an eye on things, which is always the case with any aggressive species, and if aggression becomes an issue you deal with it as needed.

Rue
03-24-2007, 03:34 PM
...I've been researching Oscars for a while now (that was Plan B)...and the consensus is the bigger the tank the better...for swimming room AND for water quality...when I was contemplating 2...I was looking at the 120g with serious overfiltration, and was expecting to do 2 40% water changes a week...

...the other 'rule' is get one Oscar or get 6-8...:14:

...since most people don't have a tank big enough for a group of Oscars, one is better...

...many people do manage with two it seems...but 3 is a no-no...eventually 2 Oscars will gang up on a third...

As much as I'd like to get an Oscar...I'm not prepared...in our set-up to do all that work at the moment...which is why I'm on Plan D...

TracyUK
03-25-2007, 03:42 AM
Well, the 180 is in place and took stacks of effort and muscles to move it!! Blimey they are heavy! Just hope the floorboards can take it! We've set it up with some of the water that was already in it and some from the 4ft tank and the rest (60%) is treated new water. I've tested it for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH and they are all ok. Lots of thanks to reptileguy for his sound advise. We are currently running with the 403 on its own but next month will invest in another decent canister filter. Water changes will be weekly.

Drumachine09
03-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Congrats on the tank.

Fishguy2727
03-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Keep the FX5 in mind, everyone I have talked to or sold one to has been nothing but happy and impressed with it, and with low online prices you can't go wrong.

TracyUK
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks Druma.

Reptileguy, we looked at an FX5 today and will be getting one. :thumb:

Fishguy2727
03-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Did you see the internal setup? It has three circular trays. Each tray is divided into two sections, an outer ring section that comes with a course mechanical foam media, and an inner circular section that comes empty and is up to you to fill. The water comes up through the outer ring and down through the middle. I would fill the center of the bottom two trays with Biomax as well as the bottom half of the center of the top tray. The top of the center of the top tray I would fill with filter floss for fine mechanical. This may sound complicated but it's not, just let me know if any part of this doesn't make sense. I don't use carbon on any of my tanks anymore and see no difference (if you keep up with your water changes). Carbon can contribute to HITH and other problems associated with a lack of trace elements/micronutrients.

TracyUK
03-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks Reptileguy, I'll give you a shout as soon as we buy it. :22: