PDA

View Full Version : Water current preference

gm72
03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I am just wondering what oscars prefer specific to water current in the tank? A lot/some/a little? Also wondering where they primarily dwell--top/middle/bottom, or do they go everywhere (I think the latter)? Thanks!

Fishguy2727
03-18-2007, 10:37 PM
They don't care about flow as much as you will, more flow means debris gets to the filter and sooner, it doesn't just sit and collect. Happy healthy oscars are out and about everywhere but tend to be more toward the bottom.

Other thread was closed for some reason. It is easy to maintain. Every month or two when the flow slows down I clean it out, usually only need to rinse or change out the fine mechanical media. Whatever filter it is it should ideally be cleaned every month because otherwise debris builds up and can inhibit biological filtration as well as cause nitrate spikes.

gm72
03-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the help, greatly appreciated!

sxcsamman
03-24-2007, 09:39 AM
they originaly came from from South America, in its natural environment it lives in waters that are shallow and slow moving thus it likes a slower flow and they are roamers that will go everywhere

Fishguy2727
03-24-2007, 12:52 PM
These are territorial fish that will pick out a spot, in smaller tanks this includes the entire tank, and defend it. These fish have no problem with high flow, if you go with a low flow you will end up with a lot of debris everywhere which leads to water quality issues. These fish require a good flow to keep things moving so debris can make its way to the filter. In nature the amazon can keep the water clean, but we don't have those resources and must compensate with higher flow, and since these fish do not have a problem with it, it is not an issue.