PDA

View Full Version : Question!

Jinkusu
07-14-2009, 06:44 AM
After reading alot about Brichardi, im realising that prolific constant breeding may be a problem, although i have a lfs that would take them, im not sure the 80l would keep well with generations if the parents continue to breed whilst the previous fry are still too small to take to the lfs.

My question is.....could i make some sort of mini african cichlid aquarium with small african cichlids?If plenty of rock/hiding places were supplied, but the species of fish were small. Ive seen a few about containing julies and so on. I have an external canister filter for the tank so at least that leaves more room again.

Any advice on what i could keep in an 80l aqquarium would be great...
Maybe a female brichardi, but no more than one female, mixed with a couple of other things??
Advice? lol

thanks.

edit: Unfortunatly i cannot get hold of shell dwellers.

Jinkusu
07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
I hate to say this but i posted this on another forum and got replies at least. :( Although they did go slightly off topic.
I more or less knew the answer anyway, i have common sense but just didnt use it in this instance. lol

My question now if anyone is interested in giving their advice, is what african cichlids could i house in an 80l species tank?

sailor
07-15-2009, 05:33 PM
There are a few types of julies or shell dwell dwellers you could keep in there

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/results.php?genus=101

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/results.php?genus=108

I hope this helps

Jacko
07-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Depends on what you classify an african cichlid as... do you want the rift lake or the riverinne? there are alot of great river cichlids that would make an awesome species only tank... if you want rift lake then I'd look at the tanganikyans, really your only choice for a tank that size... I think julies or maybe leleupi would be great for that tank

Jinkusu
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks peeps, the info's great.
I forgot to mention that i cant really get hold of shelldwellers....i probably could if i looked harder, but my 2 locals dont stock them.
I had considered them before, but i decided that if i was going to own them i'd want a longer and less tall tank.

My tank dimesions are..
24L, 13D, 16H

The kind of african cichlid tank doesnt matter i guess, just want some species thrown my way to research. But Julies seem to be winning...i do love the look of..Altolamprologus calvus though, stunning! ^_^
I wonder if my local sells them, im sure ive seen them there!

rangur1
09-03-2009, 02:31 PM
does the U.K. have online ordering? i find any fish i want in usa through online ordering. if that is not really an option then i would try paracyprichromis nigripinnis [if you can find them] shellies[again if you can find them], julies, lemons[leluepi], possibly 4-5 rusty cichlids[peaceful] or 2-4 yellow labs.[fairly peaceful].

Crispy
09-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Calvus would work... they'll take care of your fry problem and grow really really slowly. I am growing some out in a 80L tank now. Eventually they would need a bigger tank, but I rarely see full grown calvus. They are some of the slowest growers I know of.

Jinkusu
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Calvus would work... they'll take care of your fry problem and grow really really slowly. I am growing some out in a 80L tank now. Eventually they would need a bigger tank, but I rarely see full grown calvus. They are some of the slowest growers I know of.

Sorry this topics not that old but i had already bought brichardi a good month ago. Thanks for the extra info though.