PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Growth Expectancy

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
We all read so often that people want to keep goldfish in a bowl. Or see the question: How many goldfish will "fit" in my 29 gallon tank? Perhaps this size chart will help answer those questions.

These are average sizes in inches that these fish may get. Be prepared and keep those big ones for ponds.

Common Goldfish 12 +
Comet Goldfish 12 +
Shubunkin Goldfish 10
Fantail Goldfish 6
Veiltail Goldfish 6-8
Celestial Goldfish 5-6
Bubble-Eye Goldfish 6-8
Calico Goldfish also called the Shubunkin
Butterfly Tail Goldfish 9
Telescope-Eye Goldfish 8
Ranchu Goldfish 6
Moor Goldfish 10
Oranda Goldfish 8-12
Lionhead Goldfish 6
Lionchu Goldfish 6
Pearlscale Goldfish 8
Ryukin Goldfish 4-6
Wakin Goldfish 10
Pom-Pon Goldfish 5
Jikin Goldfish 9

KingFisher
07-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Great post Lady, this should help a lot of people. thumbs2:thumbs2:thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Great post hobbsy! Now we have something to refer people to when they go to defend their choice of putting a comet in a 2 gal bowl.

rich311k
07-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Excellent information!

KingFisher
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I think this should be stickied.

Wild Turkey
07-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I think this should be stickied.

I second that

William
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Very good post!

Information will be added to out goldfish section.

Hanna
04-24-2010, 08:13 AM
(blush) sorry to ask, it may sound a bit silly, but what does "sticky" mean ? Why is this topic sticky ? :sconfused:

... I haven't got much "forum experience"...

Lady Hobbs
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
It simply means it's a permanent post here and in red at the top to grab peoples attention.

Do bad it doesn't work.

SunSchein89
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
It simply means it's a permanent post here and in red at the top to grab peoples attention.

Do bad it doesn't work.

Heh, true. I must be an old schooler; I normally read most/all of the stickies/forum rules before I post things. Good post, though, should help those who come across it thumbs2: . Not to mention I see a lot of AC articles and threads pop up in google searches, so it may help more people than you know.

Cococrunch
04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
And i thought Fantails were alot bigger :hmm3grin2orange:
Thanks for the Info! Definitely helpful to other members on the Forum :22:

Hanna
04-24-2010, 08:16 PM
THANKS TO EVERYBODY!

This is really VERY GOOD information about :goldfish: :goldfish:

Brhino
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
I hate to nitpick about a post that's useful and informative overall, but the title is inaccurate. A "growth rate" would be an indication of how quickly a fish would grow over time. This thread does not have any rates listed, it has expected sizes after growth is more or less finished.

"Your fantail goldfish will grow to six inches or more" - Maximum growth, expected growth, adult size, whatever you want to call it.

"Your baby oscar will grow an inch per month for the first 6 months" - Growth rate

Many people, myself included, have asked about goldfish growth rates rather than maximum sizes, and the answer seems to be that it is highly dependent on environmental situations, although goldfish do have a very slow growth rate compared to most other fish.

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
So, what ya want to change it to. Growth Expectancy? Would that work better for you?

Brhino
06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
that would work.

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
You wish is my command. LOL

Now I gotta change my signature. Brat Boy!

Wild Turkey
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
LOL

Its a valid point, the title does imply its content is about how fast the fish grow instead of their relatively massive maximum size.:11:

Brhino
06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
You wish is my command. LOL

Now I gotta change my signature. Brat Boy!

Don't worry, my wife hates it when I point these things out too. That's what she gets for marrying an engineer.

BrandonBCA
02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
I'd say these growth expectancies are on the conservative side. My ryukin was 9" when he died(from an injury) at 15. Now, keeping a single goldfish wasn't in his best interest but the largest tank I have is a 55g and no one I knew wanted or could properly house him so I kept him. He seemed to be growing ~1/4" a year after the first year with no signs of slowing, so with their expected lifespan of ~25-30 years kept in proper water conditions he could have grown to 13" if he kept growing at the rate he was.

redbullbill
03-23-2011, 04:24 AM
My comets have been growing super fast i think.I hope it slows down till i move and get a bigger tank.My biggest comet went from an 11/2" to 6"in a year.please let them grow slower for the next year please!!!!

Lady Hobbs
03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Trying to slow growth and keeping them in tanks not suitable to substrain growth ends up with stunted fish. They will not wait for us to find them a suitable home. You need to find him a pond this spring so he can live as he should.

redbullbill
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Trying to slow growth and keeping them in tanks not suitable to substrain growth ends up with stunted fish. They will not wait for us to find them a suitable home. You need to find him a pond this spring so he can live as he should.
That sucks he is the whoile reason i got into the aquarium thing in the first place:scry:

Jamessainta
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
So in a 55 gallon tank without a heater very roughly how long does it takeis a young common to grow an inch or so? Very rough estimate would be interesting, but I realise possibly not possible.

gpb
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree that you should keep one goldfish in nothing smaller than a 150 gallon tank or small pond Too many goldies live miserable lives in cramped quarters. Be prepared to use plenty of filtration and lots of water changes if you decide to go against this conventional wisdom. I had a quarter-sized goldfish which grew to be 10 inches long and 10 inches in girth I only had a high 20 gallon tank and eventually she succumbed to septicemia She was 12 years old but eventually the limited quarter did her in....

redbullbill
05-04-2011, 11:17 PM
how long did it take to grow that large?

redbullbill
05-05-2011, 02:26 AM
The reason i ask is i'm moving in about a year and once i do that i will have the room for a bigger tank.I plan on getting something around the 125+ size tank.So for now theyhave to stay in the 29 gallon cause of room restraints.
I do water changes every 4 days to keep the nitrites in check.They are very active and appear healthy.Sometimes i don't think i feed them enough cause they are always searching for food,but i don't feed them alot to keep the ammonia and waste down.
So i'm hopeing they will be ok for a few more monthes!!!

Lady Hobbs
05-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Ammonia and nitrites should always be O. If the tank is cycled, then that's where it will always be "unless" the filter is cleaned too much and good bacteria has been removed causing a mini spike.

I know your heart is in the right place but honestly, sometimes with our best intentions, we just don't get the size tank we really should have when it's needed. Either the money is not there when you need it, the time isn't right or the space is not available. You should never get a fish hoping you will someday have the right tank for them. Not only is the fish unhappy but it adds stress to you knowing you have to have a bigger tank but can't afford one right now.

If your fish has grown to 6" in one year, he probably would have grown to 10" had he had a larger tank or a pond. IMO, since you don't know for sure when you will be moving and think it might be "about" a year, I would find him a home now. Expecting him to stay the same size for another year or more is not realistic.

Goldfishmamma
09-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Great post. Thanks alot!

dscott14450
09-30-2011, 11:08 PM
how big do panda goldfish get?

Fizgig
11-07-2011, 02:54 AM
One (or 2) nitpicky comment(s)...

Not all calico goldies are Shubunkins.... That should read Shubunkins and beside it (calico comets).... 'Cause Shubunkins are just that, calico Comets. Also, it should be noted that the sizes quoted here are for the body of the fish only, not factoring in huge tails and such. Most people don't realize that, so there should be something in there about that.

Might want to add Koi to this list, too, as many people assume Koi are Goldies and Goldies are Koi and often buy Koi with the size reference for Goldies in mind.

Just my 2.

Fizgig
11-07-2011, 02:55 AM
how big do panda goldfish get?

Panda Goldies fall under the telescope eye category.

ikhwan57
11-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Best Article.

ElizabethJKR
03-12-2012, 04:23 AM
It might also be helpful to have pictures of the different goldfish. Just so people don't have to keep going back and fourth between here and Google trying to figure out which goldfish are which.

Mainly I'm just lazy and think it might help other people.

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2012, 04:56 PM
If people are too lazy to research the fish they are either buying or already own, then perhaps they should not have fish?

But here ya go. Took 3 seconds to do a Google Search.
http://www.desktopgoldfish.com/

We can not simply copy and paste photos from other forums without entering into copyright laws.

aya
03-23-2012, 10:07 AM
so iguess my goldies are already reach their growth expectancy then but i have to get bigger tank because its a rule then ..currently i have 5.8 gallon and maybe if i should get 10 gallon is it enough? for the 3 of them? i have 49 fry and i put them in 4.5 litters tank do i need to change it too?

veiltail
blackmoore
redcap

PAMOJA4LIFE
11-17-2012, 09:17 PM
WOW, Truly an eye opener for me as a new bee :shappy:

spikiki
09-30-2013, 12:37 AM
So how big do the calico fish get?

Trillianne
09-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Calico is just a coloration. (Same for cats) You need to know the body type to determine if its a fancy or a common goldfish.

thihal
06-05-2016, 04:51 PM
We all read so often that people want to keep goldfish in a bowl. Or see the question: How many goldfish will "fit" in my 29 gallon tank? Perhaps this size chart will help answer those questions.

These are average sizes in inches that these fish may get. Be prepared and keep those big ones for ponds.

Common Goldfish 12 +
Comet Goldfish 12 +
Shubunkin Goldfish 10
Fantail Goldfish 6
Veiltail Goldfish 6-8
Celestial Goldfish 5-6
Bubble-Eye Goldfish 6-8
Calico Goldfish also called the Shubunkin
Butterfly Tail Goldfish 9
Telescope-Eye Goldfish 8
Ranchu Goldfish 6
Moor Goldfish 10
Oranda Goldfish 8-12
Lionhead Goldfish 6
Lionchu Goldfish 6
Pearlscale Goldfish 8
Ryukin Goldfish 4-6
Wakin Goldfish 10
Pom-Pon Goldfish 5
Jikin Goldfish 9

Very informative, thanks for taking the time to post this! Can someone please confirm if these sizes refer to just the body length or if they include the caudal fin(s) as well?

Boundava
06-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Measurements usually do not include the tail, but are of the body of the fish from nose to tip of the beginning of the tail.

http://pets.thenest.com/goldfish-measured-7456.html

thihal
06-06-2016, 04:21 AM
Measurements usually do not include the tail, but are of the body of the fish from nose to tip of the beginning of the tail.

http://pets.thenest.com/goldfish-measured-7456.html

Thank you :thumbup: