PDA

View Full Version : New Rainbows!

SpaceBison
07-13-2009, 04:03 AM
Hey, I have not been on AC for a awhile, But you guys probably heard from AAbatteries that we went to a fish show. I was at the fish auction and won some floating plants for $1, 3 cory cats for $6, a betta for $2, and 5 rainbows for $17!!! I am so happy!! and in the raffle I won 500ft. of airline tubing. :hmm3grin2orange: thumbs2: :19:

I also have some questions about the rainbows....
How do you tell if they are male or female?
Will they do good with 1 angelfish?
Can I have 5 together?

Wetpets
07-13-2009, 04:36 AM
I also have some questions about the rainbows....
How do you tell if they are male or female?
Will they do good with 1 angelfish?
Can I have 5 together?

Congrats on your new acquisitions. You can never have enough shoes, hats and airline! LOL

Regarding rainbows. What species are they? In the case of 'most rainbows' males will be more colourful while females will have a duller, if not grey, appearance. Males will get a white stripe down their foreheads during mating. Males are generally bigger and 'taller' than the females, and a lot more energetic. But like I say, give us the species and I can help more.

Dwarf Neons? Boesmani? Yellows? Parkinson's?

Red
07-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Good rule of thumb, is to see by color. Most rainbows are easy to tell by just by that, with males always being colorful. What type?

kennedpa
07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Re the colour, that is age dependant....ie when there colour has not developed enough to see a differentiation :22: In that case it is generally by body shape...for example I know my Boisies and Salmon's... the male has a higher body where as the females is more elongated... well its worked for me so far :-O

KingFisher
07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Congratulations on the rainbows!

SpaceBison
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
ok, I'm pretty sure that they are millenniums. I also found out that I have 3 males and 2 females, so I got that down. I also figured out that the males have like pointed tales, and the females have like flat/straight tales. And thanks for the info everyone.thumbs2:

I have another question.
I feed my rainbows flake food and Hikari micro pellets, is that good? because they eat it.

Eileen
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
They will be fine with an Angelfish. I have 2 females and 2 male Dwarf Neon rainbows and they are with 1 lg. angelfish, they school around wuth 6 harleqen rasboras, 8 glo-light tetras, 2 gold dust mollies, 1 bushy nose pleco in a planted 55 gal. tank with a sand bottom. I have had no problems with my rainbows in that tank. They are pigs and will eat tropical fish flakes or whatever I put in the tank. I only feed my fish once a day.

mac
07-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Congrats on your new acquisitions.

As for the food I see nothing wrong with it. Mine get fed very similarly.

mac

Wetpets
07-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Just something to remember with Rainbows:

Although they have proportionately large mouths, their Oesophagal (food) pipe is very narrow, which means you should finely crush food for them. You'll avoid unwanted blockages (and deaths) by making the food smaller.