PDA

View Full Version : Strange trend with otos

troy
07-13-2009, 01:32 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but it often seems on planned stocking people have two otos. Why 2 otos? It seems if you don't they're schooling fish you'd only buy one. I'm noticing this quite frequently.

Little Embers
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Personally, I would class them as schooling fish and I do think it is much better for them to be in a group of at least 4-5. Many people buy them just to combat algae and for no other reason, if it is just a small tank they may only buy 1 or 2 if they already have a lot of fish in the tank. Also I have noticed that people that do buy 4-5, have a few that die on them within the first few weeks or so, particularly if it isn't a fully established tank.

I only have 2 as the others in the store didn't look healthy, so I thought at least 2 would be better than just one on it's own. I went back a couple of weeks later to check on the other ones, but they were all gone and they haven't stocked any more since. Not many LFS' here stock them because of their sensitivity. My guys are always playing together at night, but sleep in different areas of the tank. I bought them, not because I needed an algae eater but because I think they are adorable! :shappy: I would love to have a group of them to be able to see their true behaviour.

Kaz
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Personally, I would class them as schooling fish and I do think it is much better for them to be in a group of at least 4-5. Many people buy them just to combat algae and for no other reason, if it is just a small tank they may only buy 1 or 2 if they already have a lot of fish in the tank. Also I have noticed that people that do buy 4-5, have a few that die on them within the first few weeks or so, particularly if it isn't a fully established tank.

I only have 2 as the others in the store didn't look healthy, so I thought at least 2 would be better than just one on it's own. I went back a couple of weeks later to check on the other ones, but they were all gone and they haven't stocked any more since. Not many LFS' here stock them because of their sensitivity. My guys are always playing together at night, but sleep in different areas of the tank. I bought them, not because I needed an algae eater but because I think they are adorable! :shappy: I would love to have a group of them to be able to see their true behaviour.
This seems to be the case.

troy
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the great post. I've never thought that could be the case.

William
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Think about them as cory cats. They spawn in a similar fashion as well.

mac
07-16-2009, 12:24 AM
IMO I think little embers has it.

To me it is more that they had more, and half died of.

mac