PDA

View Full Version : 1 female cherry shrimp

KINGMED
07-12-2009, 05:31 AM
I picked up a female cherry shrimp for 3.99 at That fish place//That pet place in PA. it has eggs under the tail---she's only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. How easy are they to take care of and raise? The manager said these were very good algae eaters and for my 29 gallon tank that I'm keeping 14 pygmy cory's they would work perfectly. I'm not sure if I like the price but what the heck I thought I'd give it a shot. He said they will live a couple of years and get some what larger is this true? Also if I keep this female with the cory's and she has babies how do you clean the substrate without sucking up the babies?, I plan on getting some more when I go back next month I figure another female and maybe a male or two would be nice.

Jacko
07-12-2009, 05:37 AM
3.99 for an RCS is a fairly regular retail price, there are quite a few people in PA that I know of that sell them for $1 plus shipping (usually 5-10 dollars) or if you're close enough you can pick them up... send me a pm if you're interestedthumbs2:

They're pretty undemanding, they need a cycled tank and they eat softer algae but they won't take care of green spot or that sort. You can supplement them with either special shrimp food (hikari now makes some) or algae wafers work. They max out at around 1 inch.

Really, the only way to avoid sucking up babies is to use a net at either end of the siphon and do your best to keep an eye out for them...