PDA

View Full Version : Pond!

Paleofish
07-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Well the cichlid fry are growing good, So i decided to make the pond a cichlid pond and Add the ruby fry to growout.

After they get some size one them i will probably get another cichlid species. Ether from lake victoria basin or lake malawi.

I just checked the pH in the pond and It's 8.3:ssuprised: Also this thing is going to be running without a filter for a while, But the good bacteria should grow good on the walls of the container and on the prefilter. But the cichlids are really small, So they should be fine.

smaug
07-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Ya gotta get a filter in there.The surfaces of a pond or any other tank doesn't have enough concentration to do the job.How big of a pond?

Paleofish
07-12-2009, 03:21 AM
100g:ssmile: The biggest of the 13 fry are not even 1/2", But i will see what i can do about the filter.

smaug
07-12-2009, 03:31 AM
When I had my small pond I rigged a usable biofilter by adding a small side pond full of lava rocks with a 250gph pump feeding it,they sell them at lowes and you set them up like a small waterfall.2-3 gal of rocks would be sufficient.

Paleofish
07-12-2009, 03:37 AM
I had another idea for a filter, But i can't find the lava rock and This one gravel i was going to use is too small:14: Anyway the pump i am using is a in pond pump.

Well my idea was having the pump suck water through lava rock that is in a small tupperware. I will see if i can get these small rocks working though.

smaug
07-12-2009, 03:43 AM
Do you have any lowes stores or home depot?They sell it in the landscape area.Its dyed red but it washes out ok.An in pond pump is exactly what you want.

Paleofish
07-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Yeah there is one, But i can't make it their for a few days.

Well i am going to test the water for ammonia and stuff and being that their are only 13 fry, I think they would be ok for a few days without a filter, Which wouldn't really be a filter anyway until the bacteria grew on it.

But i got some used filter media on the intake of the pump, Just to get some bacteria on the prefilter.

Paleofish
07-12-2009, 04:35 AM
It wouldn't let me edit my post, So sorry for double posting.

But with such a small bioload it could take forever for the pond to start cycling and The fry will really have to put on some size.

I will see what the tests say and I will think about what i will do.

Paleofish
07-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Looks like i will be waiting. With the chloramine in the water i get a reading of 1.0 of ammonia. I have prime, But i don't know if it's safe or not?

A day after i get the filter going on it i will put a half dose of prime to be safe and add a few fry and See how it goes from there.

Paleofish
07-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Well i got the filter going and I am in no hurry, So i will just wait until the ammonia in the water is gone, Then i will add all the fry.

Paleofish
07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Well the ammonia is gone,:19: thumbs2: So I will be adding the fry.thumbs2: