PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish TB

hali_fish
07-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I recently noticed one of my green tiger barbs is quite 'sluggish'. She isn't swimming around like/with the others and she kinda just sits there staring at the bottom of the tank...with her nose pointed somewhat downward. I don't believe she is eating and appears to be constipated...well, I have her in her own tank now and there's no poo! So I am assuming she is. Also her colors have gotten really dark, almost blackish. Her anal fin is damaged(fin rot?)and one pectoral fin seems damaged...could be the reason for her not swimming as much? My question would be, what would any of you suggest I treat her with/feed her...any help is appreciated. Like I said I have already put her in the 'hospital' tank so she doesn't get picked on by the others. All the other barbs in the tank are fine, as is sharky. What should I do?? :help: Barbarella is one of the first fish I got...I don't want to lose her!!

jaysee
07-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I couldn't tell if it's fin rot from the picture (looks like nipped fins), and the fish doesn't look that bloated. You can feed it blanched, peeled peas incase.

Did you catch the fish sleeping? :ssmile: How long was the strange behavior going on for before you moved the fish?

In a small school of tigers, there is a greater potential for the others to pick on a single fish. Sounds/looks like that might be the case, but again, it's hard to tell and a little more info would be helpful.

I've been to halifax. Simply BEAUTIFUL!

Northernguy
07-11-2009, 03:26 PM
:goodpost: I do agree! You need to have more tbs if you can.
I squish the blanched peas as I drop them in.They seem to go after them faster.

hali_fish
07-11-2009, 03:36 PM
:19: Thanks for the compliment on Halifax...it is a beautiful place! thumbs2:

I don't really don't know how to tell if the fish is sleeping, lol I still find it funny that they do...but I guess even they have to. I did notice that she has been keeping her distance from the others for a while. Any time they'd come close she'd take off and hide. That is the main reason why I moved her, I didn't want her getting 'beat up'. Her eyes look fine, she has a couple of scales that look not so nice...they look nipped at...I think they were picking on her. And I agree, she doesn't look bloated at all, but I haven't seen her eat. Everyone comes right up at feeding time...the water bubbles like crazy!
The water parameters are good, I do partial water changes once a week with all my tanks. I figure if the water is pristine you will run into less problems...at least with the water anyway, eh? lol I will try her in her own tank for a bit and see how she makes out with healing and all that. Should I maybe have a bigger school? I only have 8...well 7 without Barbarella. I could move some of the other fish if needed...I have a couple of empty tanks...I just want the fish to be happy and healthy. :hmm3grin2orange:

hali_fish
07-11-2009, 03:40 PM
:goodpost: I do agree! You need to have more tbs if you can.
I squish the blanched peas as I drop them in.They seem to go after them faster.

How do I blanche peas? lol I will try this as well.

Thanks!

smaug
07-11-2009, 03:41 PM
I dont think its a school size issue,7-8 is plenty.How old is she?Sorry if you mentioned this already.A quick ride in boiing water blanches them,about a minute I think.

jaysee
07-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Fish lie/float around listlessly when they sleep, and tiger barbs float nose down.:ssmile:

I would try another 3, and keep barbarella in isolation treating her with stress coat. Return her when healed. Is that the only green tiger you have?

I ate at Peggy's Cove :) Typical tourist!

hali_fish
07-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Fish lie/float around listlessly when they sleep, and tiger barbs float nose down.:ssmile:

I would try another 3, and keep barbarella in isolation treating her with stress coat. Return her when healed. Is that the only green tiger you have?

I ate at Peggy's Cove :) Typical tourist!

That's what she kind looks like she's always doing...sleeping.

I have 4 green tigers and three reg ones.

The views are priceless out at Peggy's Cove. :ssmile:

hali_fish
07-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I dont think its a school size issue,7-8 is plenty.How old is she?Sorry if you mentioned this already.A quick ride in boiing water blanches them,about a minute I think.

She is about a year old.

And thanks, I am going to blanche some peas and see if she eats 'em.thumbs2:

jaysee
07-11-2009, 04:25 PM
That's what she kind looks like she's always doing...sleeping.

I have 4 green tigers and three reg ones.

The views are priceless out at Peggy's Cove. :ssmile:

I think there are more paintings of peggys cove then any other place on the continent.

smaug
07-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Frozen mysis shrimp are also a good food to feed to clean there tracts out.