PDA

View Full Version : Help me please

Butterfly
03-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Hello and thank you for allowing me to be here.
I have been searching for the last hour trying to find an answer to this question.
My mom has received a abolone shell. She has a 50 gallon tank with chiclids, angelfish, silver dollars, will it be ok to put this shell in as a decoration? I know shells are generally not a good idea but being abalone I didn't know if it was in the same catagory.

The shell must have been brought back from the ocean because it has not been polished and was orginally purchased to make knife handles although the abalone color side was not thick enough.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
butterfly40336@gmail.com

Butterfly

William
03-22-2006, 11:12 PM
The Abalone shell might just as other shells affect the pH level of the water and it is therefore better to avoid keeping them in aquariums with fish that prefers acidic water such as those your mother keep.

If you want to try and keep the shell in the tank (I think its best not to) you'll have to monitor pH levels closely nad remove it if pH starts to raise.

Butterfly
03-24-2006, 02:23 AM
I appreciate your quick reply so much. Thank you and I'll get the info out to her asap. Thanks again!!

MudBlood
03-24-2006, 10:43 AM
provided you wash the shell really well, and I mean really well!!! It should be ok to put the shell in the tank, but as william said, monitor the ph levels closely.

Mud.