PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Yellow water!

Star
12-19-2004, 03:56 PM
I put a pot in my tank this Friday, and now the water i all golden. Why???
Does this has something to do with the boiling? I boild it for about 5 minutes, isn't that enough? What should I do? Can this harm the fish?

Komar
12-26-2004, 04:38 AM
Take it out; better safe than sorry.

Do 20 percent water changes every three days until the water is back to normal. I dunno what the problem is, or if it can harm the fish, but I think this is just common sense :wink:

One of my tanks has some driftwood that has a lot of tannin (sp-?) in it, which is not bad for the fish, but also makes the water quite yellow. Do you have any such driftwood in there, too? That might be the problem, but I'm just taking a shot in the dark...

I put brown clay pots in my tanks from time to time without a problem, and without boiling. These are really cheap (less than a buck each), so they might be a better alternative.

Star
12-27-2004, 01:32 AM
Nope, no driftwood.
But you're right concerning the pot, it is better to be safe than sorry. I've taken the pot out and put it in a bucket with water to see if that water will turn yellow too.

rebelagent
12-12-2005, 06:47 PM
I have used clay bricks and pots in my tanks. I generally stick with the clay for the reason of worry about water murkiness/cloudeness. I clean the clay items to ensure that the water will stay clean. I have tried a few times to put other rocks in the tank. I found the rocks from the forests I go hiking in and I always think that the shap, size and color would be cool in the tank. I just have a hard time keeping the water clean. So I just stick to the clay. A few times I have used natural lava rocks. For the most part was not hard to maintain clean tank water when I have put the lava in.