PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaves

Abbeys_Mom
03-17-2007, 10:41 PM
My wisteria has taken to growing REALLY broad leaves...
The leaves on the bottom are starting to curl as well. I haven't had the plants for very long, since January or so. Is is good that the leaves are big or does it mean there is something wrong? Also, what causes the leaves to curl?

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Don't know much about wisteria, though from the picture it looks like a stem plant. Is it possible that the upper leaves are shading the lower leaves and they're just not getting enough light?

xoolooxunny
03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
what kind of lighting do you have? Maybe the leaves are growing broader to soak up more needed light energy..

Abbeys_Mom
03-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I have an 18" hagen Power-Glo on a 10g tank. I think it works out to 1.5 watts per gallon.

xoolooxunny
03-17-2007, 11:31 PM
well, from my experience, after some time, the plants grow new leaves, and they are usually different sizes and sometimes vary their color. I guess its the plant's way of adjusting to the new environment, just like when i take my coleus plant outside in the spring all the other leaves die off while new darker ones grow in. you could just have a better environment for your plants than where you bought them.

Chrona
03-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Xooloo hit it on the head. Wisteria leaf shapes vary widely depending on lighting conditions, ie finer leaves for high lighting and broad leaves for low lighting. As for the curling, I'm not sure, but it seems to have gone away after I upgraded from 15 watts to 28 watts.

Abbeys_Mom
03-30-2007, 01:33 PM
UPDATE: What every was causing the larger leaves seems to have resolved itself. The wisteria is growing normally and is a healthy green now. I also have more then when I started. Every time a leaf gets broken off by the yoyo loach, I let if float for a few days. The leaves grow roots and I replant them.

xoolooxunny
03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
UPDATE: What every was causing the larger leaves seems to have resolved itself. The wisteria is growing normally and is a healthy green now. I also have more then when I started. Every time a leaf gets broken off by the yoyo loach, I let if float for a few days. The leaves grow roots and I replant them.
Sounds like you have plenty of trace elements in the water for those roots to form. Glad to hear that a yoyo can actually be beneficial to your planted tank!