PDA

View Full Version : My front is not eating

jaymorris
07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Hell,

I have 3 fronts. The largest is around 7" The problem is that the tank was treated for fin & tail rot, and now the large male is not eating. This has gone on for over a week. I recently had to transport my tank to another location. I did the normal chlorine removal, refilled the tank, and the tank is cyrstal clear. I even did a ph test and the readinds gave me 8.3-8.4. Can any one with knowledge of why he is not eating, give me some helpfull advise on what the problem might be, and how I might be able to get this guy to eat again.

Red
07-09-2009, 05:19 PM
what are your other parameters?
nitrate?
nitrite?
ammonia?
What have you tried feeding him?

jaymorris
07-09-2009, 05:27 PM
The paramaters i know is the ph. I do not have any kits to test for the rest of them. All my other fish seem to be doing just great.:help: I feed the kelp/spirolena pellets & spiralina flakes.

Crispy
07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Sounds like he is stressed over something. You say you emptied the tank? did you perhaps change the filter media and start a cycle again? ...you may want to post this in the african cichlid section for more replies.

jaymorris
07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Yes actually i did. After removing the medication, i used the normal carbon to remove the meds. In my hot magnum i removed the amocarb and put in fluvals ceramic rings to start a strictly biological filtration. My emperor 400 still has the carbon pad in it and the other containers in it have carbon as well. The water is extreemly clean and the ph is in the parameters as it should be.

Crispy
07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
what about the sponges/biomedia in your filter?? did you change these out? thats where all your good bacteria are. If you did, you're starting your cycle all over again... fish do not like this and get stressed very easily. Carbon doesn't really matter much at this point.

jaymorris
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
The only thing i did different is remove the amocarb from my hotmagnum and replaced it with fluval ceramic bio filtration cylinders.. Nothing else has been done different. The bio wheels have never been cleaned and are working just great.

Crispy
07-09-2009, 05:52 PM
The only thing i did different is remove the amocarb from my hotmagnum and replaced it with fluval ceramic bio filtration cylinders.. Nothing else has been done different. The bio wheels have never been cleaned and are working just great.

Then it wouldn't be a new cycle. Probably changing locations and refilling the tank messed with the parameters the front had been used to. You said he looks fine, just won't eat... give him a few more days and see if you can get your water tested... something sounds fishy there... pardon the pun. :hmm3grin2orange:

jaymorris
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks a lot. The poor guy used to eat out of my hads and now he wont do anything. :(

Crispy
07-09-2009, 05:56 PM
what's the size of your tank and tankmates?

btate617
07-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Fronts are especially picky to change, ie moving them. Even more so the bigger they get.

When I moved mine from upstairs to a down stairs tank some of them took 4 weeks to begin eating. If everything else with them seems fine I wouldn't worry too much.

Brian

jaymorris
07-09-2009, 06:05 PM
This was something that crossed my mind in the beginning. I figured he was stresses and not sick. Reason being is because the smaller fronts, peacocks, and yellow labs are doing just great. Thanks for the advise

btate617
07-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Like Crispy said also I would ditch the yellows and the peacocks.
They are just too active for your fronts to feel secure.

Also when I had fronts I only feed them every other day, or else I would have to clean up lots of uneaten food. When they hit about 7" I only feed 3 times a week.

Brian

Crispy
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Also when I had fronts I only feed them every other day, or else I would have to clean up lots of uneaten food. When they hit about 7" I only feed 3 times a week.

I noticed my fronts eat less and less the bigger they are also... weird...