PDA

View Full Version : Half of my Xenia's are shriveling!

umdaquarist09
07-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Ok, my reef tanks specs are as follows: 55 gallon tank, 2 96w pc's 1 10k, 1 actinic (420 & 480). I actually have 2 more bulbs but the ballast has been broken for months.... As of a water test I did 5 minutes ago:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Phosphate:0-.25
dKh:7-8
Calcium:420

The Problem:
I have 4 stalks of xenia coral that up until about 2 weeks ago were growing fast. 2 stalks are about square in the middle with good flow. These ones are doing great. The other two are more left, roughly ten inches from middle with good flow as well. Although these ones are withering. There was a fifth stalk but it has disintegrated. There is a condy anemone close to the xenias that are suffering, but the one that already dissappeared would be less likely to get touched by the anemone than one that is still there. I can't figure out why they are just falling apart in front of me while the other xenias are looking so good.

Other corals: kenya trees (6), way too much GSP (thats actually green),4-5 mushrooms, an uncountable number of what i call button polyps, and a small frag of zoas i found one day that i didnt even know i had.

This tank was moved from one house to another around January '09. I basically tried to preserve all tank water, sand, and rock by transporting it all in 5 gallon buckets. It was tedious but it worked. After moving it, the tank went through some algae cycles but these have been tapering off now for the past 1-2 months..
I know xenias like dirty water so it may be that the tank is balancing out. I am barely feeding the fish at all nowadays (4 tomato clowns, 3 YT damsels), but its so weird that everything else in my tank is growing except these 2 stinkin stalks of xenia. Also, one of the larger clowns (they are all from 1 tank spawning) likes to nestle in the failing xenias but he/she did this before they took a nosedive.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

labnjab
07-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Xenia is a weird coral. Some people can't get rid of it, while others can't keep it alive. At the start of 09 I had roughly 12-13 heads and it was growing like crazy. Then it all but disappeared for no rhyme or reason, while all other coral and my bta were doing great. Now its starting to make a come back and 2 heads have grown back. It does like somewhat dirty water, and when it was thriving I had a major hair algae/ phosphate problem, and when it started to wither I had eliminated my HA and phosphate

kaybee
07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
It's hard to pinpoint the reason why xenia doesn't thrive in some tanks, as it can fail or flourish in high-nutrient ('dirty') and low-nutrient ('prestine') systems.

jman
07-17-2009, 02:52 AM
i understand this well and i thought about studying this topic, i think that the coral is super adaptive to the settings it had before it moved but can change lil (if u know wha i mean) some xenia come from a ruff tank or sea where they got used to fighting hard to thrive and some are tank taken care of and always have good water quality most of the time but i think it really is where it came from that determines how it might act in your system but this is just what i think from what i deal with (u pick up on stuff like this especially when you know you have good water quality) it gets to be annoying

one thing i do know is that when they thrive...make WAY