PDA

View Full Version : Rescueing a Betta!

Inspiire
07-09-2009, 03:44 AM
I've decided to rescue a Betta!

I have a small acrylic hexagon tank that I'll use. I believe its 5 gallons, but I'm not sure. It's got a filter that hooks on top. Sucks water up, then pushes it over a filter pad, then down to a bio-wheel? and out into the tank.

It's not a very efficient system, but it works. As a matter of fact, I'm having trouble with it now. I can't get the pump to pull water up. I had this problem before. Once it gets going though, it runs pretty good. Also, the lower the water level drops, the less water it will push. Its kind of aggrivating. The filter pad is established as its been sitting in the filter thats in my 44G with its established filter pad.

I may end up taking the system out if I can't get it to work. I'll make a small sponge filter and stick in there. Will that be sufficient?

Right now, I've got sand in the bottom with a few river rocks. I've also got a centerpiece rock in there. Its pretty big, but not too big. I'll add a couple of live plants once I get some established in my 44G.

I had a female betta years ago, she lived to be about 2.5 years old, then passed on. I assume from old age. Lively thing, she was.

Am I forgetting anything?

emilyekk
07-09-2009, 05:02 AM
I've decided to rescue a Betta!

I have a small acrylic hexagon tank that I'll use. I believe its 5 gallons, but I'm not sure. It's got a filter that hooks on top. Sucks water up, then pushes it over a filter pad, then down to a bio-wheel? and out into the tank.

It's not a very efficient system, but it works. As a matter of fact, I'm having trouble with it now. I can't get the pump to pull water up. I had this problem before. Once it gets going though, it runs pretty good. Also, the lower the water level drops, the less water it will push. Its kind of aggrivating. The filter pad is established as its been sitting in the filter thats in my 44G with its established filter pad.

I may end up taking the system out if I can't get it to work. I'll make a small sponge filter and stick in there. Will that be sufficient?

Right now, I've got sand in the bottom with a few river rocks. I've also got a centerpiece rock in there. Its pretty big, but not too big. I'll add a couple of live plants once I get some established in my 44G.

I had a female betta years ago, she lived to be about 2.5 years old, then passed on. I assume from old age. Lively thing, she was.

Am I forgetting anything?

I think I have the EXACT same tank for my betta. =) He loves it.

The only thing I would suggest is a little cave. I got one after it being suggested to me and MAN, he loves that thing. Goes in and out ALLLL the time...

I have this exact one in my tank (the smallest size): http://www.petco.com/product/107053/Zilla-Reptile-Bark-Bends.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_ReptileSupplies_Sho pAll_Decor

It wasn't expensive, got it at petco. =)