PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp Coloring...

PUNISHER VETTE
07-08-2009, 08:36 PM
So my cherry shrimp used to be the darkest of reds imaginable when i had them in my 110g with some fish.

Now that i put them in their own 30g tank with tons of plants i noticed their color is faded and not very bright anymore... :(

Anyone know what causes them to become so red? I have a feeling it isn't all in the breeding but more so on the environment or feeding but am not very sure.

plantedlab
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
I notice my cherries seem to be at their reddest in clean well oxygenated water. I don't know if feed is a factor but enviornment defianately is. It is common for the color to fade when they are stressed as in moving or going through a cycle.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-09-2009, 12:23 AM
I notice my cherries seem to be at their reddest in clean well oxygenated water. I don't know if feed is a factor but enviornment defianately is. It is common for the color to fade when they are stressed as in moving or going through a cycle.

Well i haven't really had a filter on my 30g until today so we'll see if that helps clean the water up a bit.

Jacko
07-09-2009, 01:12 AM
It could be a problem with feeding, it might be that they aren't getting enough calcium, they're usually brighter if they have healthier shells.

I'd be careful with adding a new filter to the tank without having established media in it, it'll cause at least a mini-cycle and shrimp IME don't do well in cycles.

PUNISHER VETTE
07-09-2009, 02:32 AM
It could be a problem with feeding, it might be that they aren't getting enough calcium, they're usually brighter if they have healthier shells.

I'd be careful with adding a new filter to the tank without having established media in it, it'll cause at least a mini-cycle and shrimp IME don't do well in cycles.

I guess i have been feeding the shrimp the same algae pellets for a while now. I suppose i could try something different.

What's a good food i should be feeding them. Other then freshly boiled veggies as i'm too lazy to do that.

Gemini
07-09-2009, 04:43 AM
I feed mine Omega One Shrimp Pellets crushed, and Hikari Crab Cuisine crushed. I also feed them the Omega One green seaweed sheets. Having said that, mine aren't brilliant red either :(

plantedlab
07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Omega one is awesome food. Just smell it, then smell some tetra flake and you will know the difference. Where do you find it? I used to get it at a LFS, but they closed down and I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Jacko, why would adding a filter cause a cycle? If the tank is cycled and you are not increasing the bio-load or removing the existing filter, adding a filter can only help improve conditions.