PDA

View Full Version : Next Step

aaronsibley
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi

I bought a 64L tank two weeks ago. So far I have been running the tank with just substrate and a couple of ornaments. The water went abit cloudy after three days but has become clear again.

I have done some nitrate tests on the water, every two days but the nitrate level remains at 0.5 mg/L

Can I start to add plants yet? And if so what plants?

I have read that maturation can take about six weeks, but not sure if that means that I cannot add any plants or fish at all in that time.

Advice please.

KingFisher
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
You can add plants at any time. You need to choose plants based on your level of lighting. You also need some type of ammonia source to cycle the tank before adding fish. Here is a link that will tell you all about cycling your tank: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Good luck with the tank! thumbs2:

Wetpets
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Firstly - Fill in your profile AGGGH! LOL.

I notice you quote in Litres... where are you from? (see above suggestion).

For the most part plants are pretty much resistant to low levels of amonia, so it should be safe to add them. They will only consume Nitrate from the tank, which no beneficial bacteria will use - Nitrate is the end product of the cycle and it's always a good idea to have plants to take some of this up (unless you want to be doing bi-weekly water changes like I do).

The appearnace of nitrate would suggest your tank is mature, but I suspect with only two weeks that may not be the case. An investent in Amonia and Nitrite test kits is recommended (and I use the word INVESTMENT as these are far cheaper than all the fish you will eventually buy!).

Good luck and we hope you will post some pics soon. Keep us updated.

Jaster
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
First, welcome to AC! Next, if you haven't already, go read this:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=1602

You need to get your cycled and get an ammonia source in there. This will help you out on what to do next and how to do it. thumbs2:

aaronsibley
07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks so far.

Ok, where do I fill in my profile. I can see it but not able to ammend.:22:

What do I use as an Ammonia source?

The ebook is for tropical tanks, does much of that actually apply for a cold water tank.

KingFisher
07-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks so far.

Ok, where do I fill in my profile. I can see it but not able to ammend.:22: click on the "user cp" button on the top left and then click on "edit profile"

What do I use as an Ammonia source? You can use pore ammonia that they sell at hardware stores, just make sure it contains no surfactants. You will need a test kit to make sure you are adding the proper amount.

The ebook is for tropical tanks, does much of that actually apply for a cold water tank.The same applies to all freshwater tanks.
Good luck with your tank!

Northernguy
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
All tanks need to be cycled!Even a beta tank!