PDA

View Full Version : New yoyo loaches (Pic)

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Well we added 5 Yoyo loaches to our fish community and they seem to have settled in well! Here's a pic of one checking us out:ezpi_wink1:

sergo
03-17-2007, 02:16 AM
hey! you stole my fish!!!!
not really. i love my yoyos. they are fun to watch as they are very busy fish. they eradicated virtually every snail in my tank and some i didn't even know i had. i must have seen 75+ empty snail shells when i vaced my tank today. all i can say is WOW! they also make a very good addition to my tank. i thinking of making a snail breeding tank and putting them in my big tank just to keep them happy.

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 03:17 AM
lol....nice...I don't think we have any snails (at least none that I can see), however, they were busy digging through the gravel tonight, and it looks like they found lots of good stuff (now we just have to convince the rest of the fish that the algae wafers are for the "true" bottom dwellers)!

Thus far they've been a wonderful addition.

sergo
03-17-2007, 03:21 AM
they make my upside down cats look bad as scavengers. although they are just as fat as my yoyos. i just never see them when they are really at work.

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 03:28 AM
That is an awesome pic!

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 03:37 AM
Thanks, I won't tell you how many I took that were blurry:ezpi_wink1:

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 03:56 AM
Thanks, I won't tell you how many I took that were blurry:ezpi_wink1:

I have a crappy camera, so i probobly take 25 crap pictures before i take 1 fairly decent one.

sergo
03-17-2007, 04:07 AM
i know the feeling too well.

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Defiantly don't have a crappy camera....just haven't figured out all the newansece (sp???) of fish photography yet (I'm great with in adamant objects though!)

sushant
03-17-2007, 07:02 AM
nice pic.:thumb:

Willyleigh
03-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Nice picture and nice fish, I have a couple of yoyos as well, when i bought some new plants yesterday the snails which came on them were eaten very quickly, one of them while I was telling my mum that they eat them.

The bigger one swam over to it, flipped it up and sucked the snail out from the bottom.

cartmanis
03-18-2007, 04:55 PM
How are your yo-yo's with live plants?

I'd love to have a few loaches in my tank, these guys look pretty nice, but I know I saw recommendations not to do clown loaches because they will root up plants.

Nice pic :) I am struggling to take decent pictures.

sergo
03-18-2007, 05:44 PM
How are your yo-yo's with live plants?

I'd love to have a few loaches in my tank, these guys look pretty nice, but I know I saw recommendations not to do clown loaches because they will root up plants.

Nice pic :) I am struggling to take decent pictures.i've had mine in for 3 weeks now (i think) and haven't had any problems. well, one. i can keep any snails in there for them to eat. they are always on the prowl looking for something.

cartmanis
03-18-2007, 05:55 PM
lol, I've seen a snail or two in my tank, that would be another benefit - hoping they don't bother with my Rock Shrimp though.

Willyleigh
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
I keep my loaches in a planted tank and they do nose around in the sand around the plants but I have never had any of my plants coming lose and once they have established a root system there is nothing to worry about.

hungryhound
03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
We've only had the Yoyo Loaches for a few days now, but haven't had any of our plants up rooted. They do dig around in the substrate, but they don't go very far down (in fact they seem to just move a rock here or there). I should add that they're a ton of fun to watch!

As for taking picture, lots of patience...I probably sat in front of the tank for at least 30min snapping pictures (most were really blurry).

AquaQueen
03-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Well no matter how long it took you, you got a great shot there and the loach is adorable. Sounds like you found youself a few great fishes for you tank.

xoolooxunny
03-29-2007, 10:55 PM
We've only had the Yoyo Loaches for a few days now, but haven't had any of our plants up rooted. They do dig around in the substrate, but they don't go very far down (in fact they seem to just move a rock here or there). I should add that they're a ton of fun to watch!

How are the loaches doing with the plants and snails so far hungryhound? My lfs is having a fish sale april 1st so im making my last minute research. It's only a 2 hour sale (50% off fw fish!!)

hungryhound
03-30-2007, 02:01 AM
How are the loaches doing with the plants and snails so far hungryhound? My lfs is having a fish sale april 1st so im making my last minute research. It's only a 2 hour sale (50% off fw fish!!)

Well, so far so good. We have noticed zero damage to the plants due to the loaches. This may be because they are still juvenile and only 1.5inches long. It might be that as they get bigger they will root deeper into the substrate displacing plants, but we have no complaints.

They're our favorite fish in our community tank!

xoolooxunny
03-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Well, so far so good. We have noticed zero damage to the plants due to the loaches. This may be because they are still juvenile and only 1.5inches long. It might be that as they get bigger they will root deeper into the substrate displacing plants, but we have no complaints.

They're our favorite fish in our community tank!

ok, I'll put them on the wish list!

hungryhound
03-30-2007, 02:06 AM
ok, I'll put them on the wish list!

You'll love them if you do!

Severus
03-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Great looking loaches!

hungryhound
04-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Great looking loaches!

Thanks! It's quite funny to look back at this picture (which isn't that old) and see how much bigger they are now!