PDA

View Full Version : Sparkles on Betta?

deonild
07-08-2009, 01:28 AM
I can't say whether or not she came with these. I have a Female Red Crowntail Betta (from Petco) and she seems perfectly happy, for about 10 days now. However, around her gills and hand fins(sorry for layman's term) she has sparkles. At first I thought it must be ick. When I move the tank lid some white dots fall in the water, and around the feeding hole of the lid there is white residue. I don't know if all this is ick, or just some harmless type of algee? I got some gel-type drops she's supposed to eat to cure ick but she won't eat them after 2 days of starving here(directions say don't feed for 1 day so they eat it). Also, I put salt in the aquarium. I call these spots sparkles because they are, they're not pure white spots. Do some Bettas have sparkles? Is this some other common parasite? I can try to get a decent picture with my crappy camera phone if it would help but might not be able to get anything visible.

Thanks for any advice

rich311k
07-08-2009, 01:33 AM
The residue is calcium carbonate that comes from the water splashed on the hood it stays behind as the water evaporates. Ich looks like salt or sugar sprinkled on the fish.

deonild
07-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Are there betta's with sparkles? It doesn't look like salt.

rich311k
07-08-2009, 01:39 AM
I have had boys with color on their fins. You could say it sparkles.

deonild
07-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Just to clarify, these are sparkley patches less than a mm big along the gills, and around the hand fin base, not on the fin itself. Reflective with many colors if I shine a flashlight at her. It doesn't necessarily look bad, and hasn't gotten any worse or more area since I noticed it. Possibly skin that's irritated by salt? I may have slightly more than the recommended 1tbs per 5gallon, as she's in a 1 gallon and it's hard to estimate.

deonild
07-17-2009, 01:38 AM
Over the last week or so, My Betta lost some scales on her gills exposing redness. I have since gotten Bettafix and it has cleared up the red area on her gills and her scales are growing back, nearly back to perfect on that particular area. However, she still has these sparkles! I got 1 good, clear picture showing them, as well as the red raw area before Bettafix treatment. Please disreguard the red scaleless area at the edges of her gills. However, on her gills as well as just behind and below her eyes you can clearly see these sparkles... I'm nearly 100% sure it's not ick, it's not anywhere else on her body, hasn't spread at all, and there's no ick worm guys in the water at all.
I had gotten my water testing kit 1 week after getting her, also I had a bamboo shrimp which died, he required aquarium salt and I might have put slightly more than 1tbs per 5 gallon as I have a 1 gallon it's hard to gauge.
Has anyone seen these sparkley patches on a betta or any fish? They're not getting worse or better with or without Bettafix or salt, I'm not using salt anymore and it the salt should have been nearly completely gone as of 5+ days ago.

Any clue what it is? Is this a concern, or a "beauty mark"?

Mvjnz
07-17-2009, 05:33 AM
That colouration looks normal, a lot of females have the red lines on their gills, and yes some of them have sparkles. If she's eating normally and acting like a healthy fish, I would stop fussing about it.

Little Embers
07-17-2009, 12:54 PM
I agree! Some betta's can have quite a mixture of colouring on them and some patches of colour do seem to sparkle. IMHO I would stop with the salt (particularly if uncertain on the dosage for the tank) and other meds. you are using and just keep the water quality at its best. I believe that it is never a good idea to use medications if there is any doubt as to whether the fish is even sick. It's natural to worry when you see something that looks a bit different on your fish, but I wouldn't advise automatically medicating the fish, it may just cause stress and do more harm than good.

That is a lovely looking betta BTW..:ssmile:

deonild
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, good to know a betta's had these kinda patches before.

Wild Turkey
07-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Bettas have weird coloration by the gills a lot.

If it was not a betta though, your description would scream "Velvet". Identified by shininess around the gills and base of fins, closely related to ich, and is most noticeable when shining a flashlight on the fish. Just giving the info for the sake of other readers

Little Embers
07-17-2009, 10:48 PM
If it was not a betta though, your description would scream "Velvet". Identified by shininess around the gills and base of fins, closely related to ich, and is most noticeable when shining a flashlight on the fish. Just giving the info for the sake of other readers
Point taken...Thank you for the clarification Wild Turkey. :ssmile: