PDA

View Full Version : Fishesses Betta. What It Is?

Fishesses
07-07-2009, 08:02 PM
I've looked and looked and still ain't sure. The lfs labeled it only as "Betta". It didn't cost very much and isn't from an exotic type lfs. It's blue with a slight crimson trim; a little on the anal fin and what almost looks like a ribbon of crimson on the pelvic or ventral fin.

My best guess is a Veil Tail.

:22: To you who take such beautiful fish pics. I read the instructions here on AC, have a Sanyo 6.0 mega pixel with macro and both telescopic and digital zoom. Still can't match y'all. Now flowers. I can take flower pics.

Northernguy
07-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I would also call it a veil tail. Nice fish!
They are the most popular in stores.

thrakuarium
07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
A veiltails rear tail should come to a point. Im not really seeing that. Is it possible that it may be a crowntail that has a minor bit of fin damage? As long as he is eating and active the fins should grow back it that is the case.

Fishesses
07-07-2009, 10:30 PM
We've had this fish about 2 months. When we got it, it's fins were quite ragged. Not in that crown betta way, either. In that kept in a shot glass of a plastic tub kinda way. We won't go into the whole how bettas are kept for sale rant. I bought it anyway and it's with me now- in a 55g community tank.

The fins have grown in nicely between the rays and the blue is even nicer now than what drew me to it. The body and the way it holds itself is dead on to the body and posture I've seen on veil tails. The tail, caudal fin, is square with rounded corners instead of coming to a tapered point.

Sarkazmo
07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Probably a shorter tail mutation. You see mutants in Betta all the time as some breeders are nothing more than the fish version of a puppy mill. Don't forget that our beloved betta are selectively bred for their color and finnage so they're more likely to have 'defects' than a wild strain that has a very wide gene pool.

Sark

iZinedane
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
looks like a Veiltail to me