PDA

View Full Version : Danio Eggs

Abbeys_Mom
03-16-2007, 11:14 PM
My Danios have been laying eggs all day. With a Kuhli, Yo-Yo Loach and a pleco, what are the chances of any of the eggs going uneaten?

xoolooxunny
03-16-2007, 11:38 PM
do kuhlis and plecos eat eggs?

Abbeys_Mom
03-16-2007, 11:39 PM
I did imagine that they'd eat anything :)

Incredulous_Ed
03-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Slim. With a bunch of plants and caves and nooks and crannies the eggs may survive and hatch. The ones that do survive stick to the glass for a few days before they venture out to the surface looking for food. I find that all of the fry are eaten while they are on the glass. Since the danios are surface dwellers, so will their fry, so they will probablt be eaten by the parents. Sorry if I spoiled your hopes :|

Incredulous_Ed
03-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Whoa, both you guys ninja posted!

hungryhound
03-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Even if your bottom dwellers don't eat the eggs, the adult zebrafish probably will. The eggs normally hatch between 48-72 hours. Unfortunately the adults also eat their fry, so as incredulous_ed said, it's more than likely you wn't have any survive.

If you want to bred zebrafish it's best to have a way to separate the breeders from their eggs. Not sure if anything like this is available to the general public, but in our zebrafish work we use cages with wire on the bottom that float in a slightly larger tank. The wire openings are large enough for the eggs to fall through, but small enough that the fish can't get to them. The eggs can then be collected and the fry raised separately without worry of them being eaten. As a side note, we start feeding brine at about a week of age.

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 12:58 AM
Slim. With a bunch of plants and caves and nooks and crannies the eggs may survive and hatch. The ones that do survive stick to the glass for a few days before they venture out to the surface looking for food. I find that all of the fry are eaten while they are on the glass. Since the danios are surface dwellers, so will their fry, so they will probablt be eaten by the parents. Sorry if I spoiled your hopes :|

Buzz kill...lol
Whats a ninja post?

Abbeys_Mom
03-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Ninja post = Sneaking in a post while one is being written.

I wasn't really expecting fry. I figured it was free caviar for the bottom feeder :)
If I can get a smaller planted tank going, I'll let them lay eggs in it, then move them back to the main tank.

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 03:35 AM
When we set zebrafish up for matings they generally go from 9am (when the lights come on) until around noon. I imagine you could leave the breeders in the tank for an hour or two and would have a nice clutch of eggs (this is of course assuming they didn't go behind one another and eat them:P)

Another thing would be to set up a corner net in the other tank. You could put the breeders in there and the eggs should fall into the tank away from the hungry parents.

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 04:07 AM
When we set zebrafish up for matings they generally go from 9am (when the lights come on) until around noon. I imagine you could leave the breeders in the tank for an hour or two and would have a nice clutch of eggs (this is of course assuming they didn't go behind one another and eat them:P)

Another thing would be to set up a corner net in the other tank. You could put the breeders in there and the eggs should fall into the tank away from the hungry parents.

Or make chronas diy divider.

hungryhound
03-17-2007, 04:27 AM
That divider would be perfect, just get the breeders out of there ASAP!