PDA

View Full Version : Something attacked my clown loach?

blacksnow
07-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Was watching the clown loaches under my moonlight, and noticed 1 of them has the top portion of his/her tale gone. I turned on the main light, and it looks like a clean cut. Not sure how it could happen other then an attack though?

Possibly the Synodontis Catfish?

Thoughts?

Oscar_freak12321
07-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Hmm...no red around the injury? It might be fin rot but I doubt it. What species of Syno do you have? Looking at your stocking, my best guess is actually your CAEs...

blacksnow
07-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Hmm...no red around the injury? It might be fin rot but I doubt it. What species of Syno do you have? Looking at your stocking, my best guess is actually your CAEs...

Never seen any aggression from the CAE's. Def possible though =O
petricola is the type of syno...

Crispy
07-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Clowns like to fight amongst themselves.... more likely them than your syno.

Red
07-07-2009, 05:35 AM
agreed, not your synos, esp. petricola. I have kept these with angels and discus, and no problems. Some fish might have territory problems with not enough space.

mac
07-07-2009, 05:41 AM
I agree it sounds more like a fight between them selves, or the CAE's. Unless there is something that the Clown could get caught on in the tank causing the damage.

mac

blacksnow
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Well ill be monitoring the tank closely to see if there is any agression.

I will be rescaping the tank one of these weekends. I'm gonna pull the CAE's. Might pull the petricola as well. Getting tight in the 46...going to be putting a lot more plants in though. Not sure what I will do with the petricola. Could put him in 125 but would have to remove him down the road.

Think the caes would mess with my stingray?

Crispy
07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Think the caes would mess with my stingray?

yes, he could very well mess with a ray. they've been known to suck-off the slime coats of slower moving fish.

mac
07-08-2009, 03:21 AM
IMO I would not add the CAE's with a ray. Would be to much of a danger to the ray losing it's slime coat.

mac

kennedpa
07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
IMO I would not add the CAE's with a ray. Would be to much of a danger to the ray losing it's slime coat.

mac

No mention of only one clown loach?:sconfused:

Commodore 64
07-08-2009, 01:47 PM
No mention of only one clown loach?:sconfused:

He used "loaches" in the OP, which indicates he has more than one.

Personally I think pet stores have no business selling clown loaches in the volume that they do. Just like bala sharks, loaches like to school and get big. I know someone who had 10 loaches, each one over 6 inches in a 90 gallon tank...they absolutely trashed everything in there. That tank accumulated nitrates like no other tank I've ever seen, it needed a water change every other day. They also tended to beat each other up as they all tried to fit in the same spots, whether a hollow volcano or a flower pot. They also absolutely destroyed a 4 inch RTS that presumed to go into one of their hidey holes.

I think clown loaches should have the same minimum requirements as bala sharks, at least a 125 and ideally 250 or better. Which pretty much eliminates 99% of the clown loach buying public. With that said, I don't blame the OP, because CLs are nice fish and I owned 4 of them in a 55g before realizing that they grow too big and are too active. I don't presume to judge folks. I've made more mistakes than anyone here probably, so I'd rather just give my opinion based on my experiences.

Kyle
07-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I dont think he needs advice anymore as it seems they banned blacksnow

domjd05
07-08-2009, 11:49 PM
why (besides the 2 closed threads..) was he banned?

Little Embers
07-09-2009, 01:14 AM
why (besides the 2 closed threads..) was he banned?
I know this thread is still open and I thought things were remaining quite civil...There may have been things going on behind the scenes that we were not privy too....

MonkeyPox
07-09-2009, 01:46 AM
I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did

gm72
07-09-2009, 02:01 AM
...There may have been things going on behind the scenes that we were not privy too....

...and there usually are. We work harder than you might think sometimes to make sure that the site stays as clean and as open as possible.

We don't discuss reasons for banning members. It would be inappropriate to do so. Understand though that we use the banning of members as a last resort after trying first to discuss situations with the offending member.