PDA

View Full Version : Torn fin

iceywind
07-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I've had my betta for a few months now and he has been a very happy fish. Huge appetite and playful.

This evening, I noticed he was keeping one of his fins tight against his body. I think he might have torn or ripped it. It's hard to tell. He's still swimming around fine and but only uses that fin when I come up to the tank (he gets excited and thinks I'm going to feed him).

Is this something that just needs time to heal? If I'm looking at it correctly, it's a small tear. I would just keep an eye on him, but Wednesday I'm leaving for a ten day vacation to Europe. I just hope this will heal on its own.

iceywind
07-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Forgive me for double posting, but I was able to get a photo of his fin finally. I put a square around the tear. Sorry about the quality, it was the only picture that the injury showed up in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/iceywind/fin.jpg

Northernguy
07-07-2009, 12:58 AM
What is in the tank that would have done that?
Keep the water clean and a torn fin heels easy.
Did the fin get bit by another fish?

Oscar_freak12321
07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
If there is another fish in the tank, divide the two before leaving. As northernguy said, keep the water clean. This will help tremendously in the healing process.

iceywind
07-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Water is clean, just did a water change yesterday. No other fish in the tank. It's the same setup as its always been, nothing new. I wonder if he just rubbed on something just the right way to tear it.

I just went down to get a snack and he's using the fin more than earlier.

thrakuarium
07-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Jagged decorations or plastic plants can rip finnage..... but keep an eye on it and keep some betta fix on hand. The best action is to just keep the water nice and clean and give high quality food. He should heal on his own.