PDA

View Full Version : Another Gar story...

Inspiire
07-06-2009, 03:02 AM
I went back the same lake I caught the 3 Gar in a couple weeks ago. I'm just getting around to posting this new story.

Anyways, we were all out on the water having a good time. I took the jetski out and rode around for a while. Me and one other family member went for a ride. There was an opening between two coves, which produced an island in the middle. We were floating in the area between the two coves. It had a SHALLOW buoy in the middle. I turned the jetski off and we were just floating in the breeze watching everyone else wakeboard.

My cousin says, "look! look at that gar!! It's swimming right up to us!!!" I think he was a little freaked out about it. It was a little Alligator Gar about 7-8" in length. It swam up to the jetski, but stayed about 2 feet away. It chilled there for a second, then it swam off real slow and descended into the depths.

They are pretty neat to watch in the water. I like to watch them, but theres still something about them that keeps me from wanting one. I think they look kind of scary, and would hate to know how big they really are in that lake. They are very curious, because it wasn't very scared of us.

Seems like I'm having quite the luck with the Gar! Just thought I would share another little Gar story with you guys. lol

Crispy
07-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Around here they like to stay in "packs" near the top of the water. Not uncommon to see many all floating near the surface. Especially in shallow, weedy areas.

Demjor19
07-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Around here they like to stay in "packs" near the top of the water. Not uncommon to see many all floating near the surface. Especially in shallow, weedy areas.

I notice this too when I go fishing for them. When I was in NY we had to have seen 20-30 of them floating together. They ranged in size from about 12" to 48". Pretty cool to see. I wish we had Gator Gars here!

Northernguy
07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
That would have been pretty cool to see!
I see the odd Northern Pike soaking up the sun but never a gar!

Fishesses
07-07-2009, 03:17 AM
You know those pics on the net of man sized gar? I've seen 'em in real life in the swamps of south Louisiana. Quite impressive. Wildlife and Fisheries took a pic of my Dad with a 3 1/2 footer he caught using a top water spinning lure. True story.