PDA

View Full Version : Pico Reef Stock Options

spp
07-05-2009, 05:35 PM
While digging my pond I thought of getting a pico reef. I already have a 400 gallon reef aquarium and was leaning on maintaining a 5 gallon pico. I've already had the idea but was hesitant to do it until now. I plan to keep this tank outside under the sun, which is pretty bright. I know about temperature fluxes, alga blooms and the such and have those under control. However, I do not know what livestock I can put into the tank.

I will most likely turn the tank into a species tank. What inverts can I put in it? Polyps? Will the Texas sun melt them away?

spp
07-06-2009, 03:07 AM
I think I'll just go with live rock and a damsel or goby if my LFS has any (usually they don't). Maybe coral down the line but I doubt it.

coachfraley
07-06-2009, 07:51 AM
I have never heard of anybody doing an outdoor pico. Unless you had it hooked up to a chiller, I think it would just turn into LR/fish soup.

unleashed
07-06-2009, 08:52 AM
definitely agree coach.

Also, 5g is far too small for nearly all species of fish, including damsels and 90% of gobies.

Your best bet will be to hook it up to you main system to keep it stable and just have a few nice corals.

spp
07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
lol, yes I have a makeshift chiller for it. The temperature alters between 84 during the day and 80 at night. I read online that most small fish get too big for a 5 gallon though some species will do. Considering the temperature is over 100 F during the day outside, I definitely have ways to lower the temperature, heck even my pool which I think is 22500 gallons is over 90 degrees.

travie
07-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Evaporation in such a small tank outside in the heat would be just as big of a factor as temperature. Between temperation and evaporation, it might be more trouble then it is worth to have a pico outside.

spp
07-06-2009, 06:18 PM
True, I haven't really though about how to combat the evaporation, but I still have a long time to figure it out as I won't start this project until my pond is complete and stabilized. The real reason for this pico is to see how corals grow under natural sunlight. Given that the light is fairly intense, I'm guessing as long as I keep water parameters in check the coral should grow fine.

spp
07-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Hmm, seems like I can't edit the old post anymore. No more pico for me, for some reason, the excitement I had over a small aquarium drained away. Maybe because water changes for a 400 gallon suck and take more than an hour.

AABatteries
07-13-2009, 04:02 AM
Hmm, seems like I can't edit the old post anymore. No more pico for me, for some reason, the excitement I had over a small aquarium drained away. Maybe because water changes for a 400 gallon suck and take more than an hour.

:O No automated system for a tank that size?!?!