PDA

View Full Version : Turquoise Severums and squiggles

sanddigger
03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I have had my two turqoise severums since Sept. 06 and they are quite large (close to 6-7" by my guesstament)and very pretty. I have read that male severums have a tendancy to show more squiggles on their face than females. Does anyone know when the squiggles start to appear? Is it the size of the fish or the age that could make a difference when squiggles appear?

This is my first experience with severums and am very happy with them. They are such beauties.

Severus
03-26-2007, 03:36 AM
My two severums are showing some squiggles and they are only about 2" in diameter. I guess it depends on the fish, but i would think your guys should have some by now

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Sexing severums is fairly easy provided you have one of each sex to compare. The largest individuals are almost always males, as females are usually some 20% smaller than males of the same age. The males’ anal and dorsal fins are also considerably more pointed than the females’, and a female in breeding condition has a much more pronounced belly than the male.

(Taken from the internet.)

sanddigger
03-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks Severus, Thanks Lady Hobbs for the info.thumbs2:

Both have longer finnage, but very few squiggles. It's so hard to tell since their faces are almost a black blue. Sometimes they look squiggly, sometimes they don't.

Lady Hobbs
03-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Probably depends on the parents of the male. They made have had few squiggles themselves.

Severus
03-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Yea, my one severum has a lot more than the other. Possibly genetics