PDA

View Full Version : This is gonna hurt.

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Now Im really sad. My krib has been doing fine up until 10 min ago, when i noticed he was hiding in the corner. He is swimming at a angle and has fin rot allover, and i cant figure it out. My tanks clean and he was fine with no rot when i checked on him 3 hours ago. Anyways, i think i have to euthuanise him. Its gonna kill me to do, since hes my li'l buddy, but i think its his time. I have no alcohol on hand, so i think i am going to crank up the freezer on my minifridge.

sergo
03-16-2007, 03:40 AM
salt bath?

Chrona
03-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Try some Melafix + Pimafix first. Why euthanise for a 3 hour old finrot?

kimmers318
03-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Although I didn't experience fin rot with the loss of my 2 kribs, they did seem to go quite quickly as in your case. One day they were healthy and colored up beautifully and then they were just swimming funny, pale as can be and not eating. Maybe I should check to see how long of a life span they have, mine were full sized when I got them and as often as they tried to spawn I kinda wondered if they hadn't been part of a breeding program and when they outlived their usefullness they shipped them off to be sold.
Okay, did a quick search....lifespan 5-8 years so I guess that is wrong.
Hmmmmm

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2007, 04:26 AM
whats weird was a few weeks ago the same krib lost a little chunk of rear fin
probably from catching on a rock, and i left it alone and it healed REALLY quickly and the fin was normal, and now its a full on barrage of rot.

Lady Hobbs
03-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Kimmers, I was actually reading the other night than many times breeders will sell first their fish that have gone thru the breeding program and no more useful in that area. This was in regards to angels but probably holds true for others as well. Kind of bothered me because some go thru breeders thinking the fish they buy will be of better stock and better well cared for than those in the store.

Cocoa, hope you don't have to put your fish down. Fin rot is easy to treat.

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2007, 01:55 PM
OMG, thats amazing. I went down expecting a floating krib, and he is still alive, and a bit better. He's not laying on the substrate, hes slowly hovering a inch above it.

crackatinny
03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
OMG, thats amazing. I went down expecting a floating krib, and he is still alive, and a bit better. He's not laying on the substrate, hes slowly hovering a inch above it.

Mate you got me on to the salt bath and temp rise with my molly and it worked.

If you don't try yr own advice and this fish dies, I WILL hunt you down, I swear

sushant
03-16-2007, 02:07 PM
euthanising is not a solution,give it a chance to cure.atleast give it a try.

crackatinny
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Only tonight I read a solution for euthinasia, it was eucalyptas oil mixed with vodka LOL.

Good reason I did not put a link on this site, yer the vodka a good idea, the fish can get drunk and say to itself, he don't love me anymore. before the oil takes affect, Damn sad

DO NOT GET THE VODKA PLS COCOA lol

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
i have used vodka in the past, but for a krib im not gonna give up. Hes a teeny bit more alert.

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, i got a thought that i dont really want to do. I remember once a betta of mine had bad fin rot, and i tried a method that was stressful.

You put the fish on a foam plate, swab the fins with hydrogen peroxide 3 times a day, then wash the fish in running tap water and put in back. I hate this method since if you dont restrain the fish good enough and it flops into the peroxide, its gills get done for. Worth a

sergo
03-17-2007, 02:28 AM
i don't like the way that sounds. a little extreme, almost a last ditch effort. is it that bad?

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2007, 03:01 AM
It is bad. I cant believe all in 3 hours. His back fin is terrible, and all the rest are bad with sting of fin dangling. I'll keep with the salt/ melapimafix combo until sunday, and if its still bad, and im sure im losing him, peroxide is better that nothing.

sergo
03-17-2007, 03:12 AM
damn in 3 hours!!!!!! how does it happen that fast. that's crazy! hope everything works out, you seem to be giving it all you can.

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Its like a ghost stuck his hand in the tank and just shredded all his fins. He was perky and swimming and chasing the auratus at 4:00, and at 7, i was gonna feed him and he was in a corner, and then i noticed his bad shape.

sergo
03-17-2007, 03:19 AM
that f'ed up. that's like getting sars or something.
:/

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Only tonight I read a solution for euthinasia, it was eucalyptas oil mixed with vodka LOL.

We can call it the "Koala Slammer!" lol.

Any updates?

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2007, 03:47 AM
A soldier can only go so far in war.

I did a 100% water change, and his fins were not too much better and when i returned him to the tank he was unable to keep balance and was half-dead. It was hard, but i cranked up the temperature on my minifridge freezer and off he went. Sucks.

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 03:52 AM
*plays taps*

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2007, 03:56 AM
Mr.auratus is sad now. Noone else to chase him

Drumachine09
03-17-2007, 03:57 AM
Ill chase him....for a nominal fee.

sergo
03-17-2007, 04:00 AM
poor fishey. bows head in brief moment of silence

cocoa_pleco
03-17-2007, 04:01 AM
A nominal fee? How about a check? *cough* it might bounce though *cough*

Im broke now. Its pretty dry here, so its time to dig out the old bmx's, and tuning and a new handlebar is already 100$.