PDA

View Full Version : Discus trouble

whitbyrob
07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi,
I have a problem with my 4" blue discus.
I am assuming it is a bladder problem as it cannot seem to keep low in the water it is a constant battle for it to stay away from the top of the tank.
As soon as it manages to force its way to middle of tank it floats straight back up again.
I am getting worried as to how long it can keep this up.
Can anyone tell me the best treatment for this problem.

kennedpa
07-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Need more info..

Is he eating or has he been on a hunger strike for some time?

Is or has his body thined?

Is he showing dark stripes?

PH?

Nitrate?

Nitrite?

Water temp?

What type of Discus ? Heckle, Brown etc?

Is he spiralling at all ?

The more info you can provide the more someone may be able to assist you in your endevour to save your Discus

whitbyrob
07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
He is eating fine and has been showing no signs of any problems untill now.
I have a pair and his mate is doing fine. No signs of thinning or dark stripes.
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0
PH=7.2
Water temp=30 c

kennedpa
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Is he spiralling when he swims? If not I would suspect gill flukes. Generally is fish have a swim bladder prob they can't swim without spiralling. If he is swimming ok but gets to a certain depth and these goes to the top...ie gulping for air...it could be flukes.

whitbyrob
07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the advice
What would you reccomend as the best treatment for gill flukes.

kennedpa
07-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Just depends what part of the world you are at:ssmile: But I would go down to local fish shop (where you bought your discuss from), they should have the medication required.

Just some advice with Discus, you need to make sure that any live food(aka worms...tubifex, black or other) are clean. I am just pressuming here as I dont know what ya feed your guys. Saying that, the flukes(if that is the prob) could have been there when you bought him and it is only now it has got to the stage where the sign are showing. Best of luck with it, Discus are a challenge to keep and breed even for the experienced.

AC 'ers anyone got some more advice ?

whitbyrob
07-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Just out of curiosity,if my fish did have a bladder problem is it treatable.

rangur1
07-05-2009, 03:43 AM
it sounds like swim bladder disease, i have only seen it in goldfish personally.
however, its usually a result of too severe a temperature difference in water transfer, or damage from bodily impact.
as far as i know, it is untreatable. sorry for not being any more help.

alittlered
07-10-2009, 07:21 PM
I have had that problem with my goldfish, the problem was he was not getting enough roughage. Are you feeding and shrimp? spyrolina packed brine shrimp in the Hikari pack are good for stopping this in the goldfish (who coincidently are in with my discus) and I have been feeding this with the bloodworms and have had no problems since

whitbyrob
07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I have tried a variation of food over the last week and it seems to have done the trick.
I tried the brine shrimp among other things aswell as bloodworm as you said alittlered and the fish seems fine now.
Thanks for the advice I thought I was going to lose him at one point.