PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with this fish???

Fleacat
07-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I bought a male betta for my son the other night. I have owned one before and found it to be the most resilant fish ever. I bought it at a very reputible pet store and also bought a 1.6 litre lava aqarium that came with a pump. My other batta was a female and was rather active. This fish just sits on the bottom of the tank! He never swims! If i move the tank to see if he will respond, he swims to the top and floats right back down again. Is this normal for a male? My B.F said it may be due to the fact that he has very large fins, is this possible? What should I do?

mommy1
07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
1.6 liters isnt very much room for him to swim around. it's possible all he needs is more room to swim around.
also what is the temperature of the water.

Fleacat
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure of the tempurature of the water but the room he is in is abut 24 degrees celesus. However i just relized that unlike a conventional tank, the lights are on the bottom, so maybe that is what is attracting him???

AmazingH
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Pics? :)

Did you use water conditioner?

bigbad-ratman
07-02-2009, 08:47 PM
is he coming up to eat?

Fleacat
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
No. I do not have conditioner. I just wanted a fish for my 15 month old son to look at. The pet store recommended this fish and tank. As I said, I had a female one before, but in a large tank, and I never bothered with it except to feed it and change the water....No special precations. It lived for 2 and a half years! So i figured this fish would be the same...As for eating, he does but only when i am not in the room (I count the pellits). He seems pretty much contenet, just dosn't swim much. Maybe I will try a bigger tank.

Fleacat
07-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I will post a pic but i don't know how.

angc84
07-04-2009, 12:02 PM
You do not use a water conditioner? You just add tap water directly into all of your fish tanks?

By the way...1.6 liter is about 0.25 gallon...that's not enough room for any living thing to thrive.

iZinedane
07-04-2009, 12:12 PM
1.6 litres isnt really enough for any fish to swim on.
betta's need a minimum of 2.5g.

Sharon
07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
....and a heater and a filter. Oh, and dechlorinator....

megastealer
07-06-2009, 03:56 AM
You will be lucky if the chlorine in your tap water doesn't kill the betta. You can go to walmart and buy the product "aquasafe" and add a few drops of it to a container, let the container get to the same temperature as the tank, and then add it. All stores that have fish that I've seen also sell similar products. This is way more important, especially for short term survival, than tank size.

And I'd also like to point out... sure... the tank is small, and probably way harder to clean than a 5 gallon tank with a small filter... but its a lot better than what most bettas sit in at walmart and major pet stores.