PDA

View Full Version : This can't be a good thing....

Pompompaihn
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I recently (about a week ago, little more), started a new tank for my betta. He was in a 1.5 gallon filtered tank and I decided it was getting too small. Upgraded to a 5 gallon tank w/a sand bottom. Used some of the water and ran the old filter in the tank with the new filter and all seemed to be going, well, swimmingly? Seemed quite happy and was blowing epic bubble nests when I left for work last night. Came home this morning and when he woke up with lights on he began swimming in a strange spiral pattern, doing barrel rolls as he swims. I have read that sand can be a bad thing for a betta, but read more that this was a isolated occurance...but now I'm fearing the worst...any ideas? I transferred him to a small bowl with some tank water temporarily. I sadly have no idea on tank parameters at the moment....but can't imagine them being too out of whack considering the same fish lived in peace and harmony in a tiny tiny tank for 2 months.

Boertjie
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
I recently (about a week ago, little more), started a new tank for my betta. He was in a 1.5 gallon filtered tank and I decided it was getting too small. Upgraded to a 5 gallon tank w/a sand bottom. Used some of the water and ran the old filter in the tank with the new filter and all seemed to be going, well, swimmingly? Seemed quite happy and was blowing epic bubble nests when I left for work last night. Came home this morning and when he woke up with lights on he began swimming in a strange spiral pattern, doing barrel rolls as he swims. I have read that sand can be a bad thing for a betta, but read more that this was a isolated occurance...but now I'm fearing the worst...any ideas? I transferred him to a small bowl with some tank water temporarily. I sadly have no idea on tank parameters at the moment....but can't imagine them being too out of whack considering the same fish lived in peace and harmony in a tiny tiny tank for 2 months.
What type of sand did you add to the tank and did you clean the sand first?

Pompompaihn
07-01-2009, 03:25 PM
What type of sand did you add to the tank and did you clean the sand first?

It's "Nature's Ocean" and claims to be a premium marine substrate....and I bucket rinsed the sand before adding it into the tank.

Sharon
07-01-2009, 04:13 PM
You'd better check the PH...that substrate may be raising the PH. In fact I would immediately do a 50% water change in the bowl, and then get it done again by this evening...

Pompompaihn
07-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Well...after a couple days in just the bowl with partially tank water and partially fresh water (no substrate) seems to be swimming more properly. I also stopped feeding for a few days, as during this process I read that freeze dried bloodworms (which is about all I can get him to eat) can cause some constipation issues.

Any further ideas? Should I be in the clear?

megastealer
07-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Well...after a couple days in just the bowl with partially tank water and partially fresh water (no substrate) seems to be swimming more properly. I also stopped feeding for a few days, as during this process I read that freeze dried bloodworms (which is about all I can get him to eat) can cause some constipation issues.

Any further ideas? Should I be in the clear?

Did you test the PH?

mac
07-06-2009, 07:00 AM
What you want to do is find out what the Ph is. If it is high then you are not in the safe zone. IMO if the Ph is high I would get rid of the sand, and get some other type of sand. Reason Marine sand is more Coral and shell which makes the Ph became alkaline, and in some types of sand the particles in the marine sand can irritate the gills of fresh water fish.

One thing do you water water testing kit? If not I would suggest getting one. They are very handy.

In doing this you will have a very high chance of the Betta surviving.

mac

Pompompaihn
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I moved him back to this 1.5 gallon tank that he'd lived in peacefully for so long....fresh water, etc. Stills seems to be having some trouble swimming properly at times, but he is eating a little bit and seems moderately healthy otherwise. Any ideas what at this point could be causing the swimming issues, or could it be just residual problems from being in high ph water?

Pompompaihn
07-09-2009, 04:40 PM
-Finally- got around to getting a liquid test kit (money has been a little tight the last week, as well as time)....the PH in the sand tank is at 7.6...which from what I've read is high for bettas...sigh, another lesson learned!

Sarkazmo
07-10-2009, 12:28 PM
-Finally- got around to getting a liquid test kit (money has been a little tight the last week, as well as time)....the PH in the sand tank is at 7.6...which from what I've read is high for bettas...sigh, another lesson learned!

Yes, they do prefer water that's acidic BUT I've got 10 Betta, 4 femme, 6 male, in water that's at 7.6PH and they're doing great. I do want to lower my PH though so as soon as they're in I'll be adding Indian Almond leaves to my tanks. I may start filtering through some peat moss as well. I'd like to get it down around 6.5 - 6.8ish. I doubt that, unless it was a MAJOR ph change, this is an illness that brought about by a Ph change.

This could be any number of things. The fish could have an issue with it's swim bladder, or sb disease. It could've been a stroke, or it might be a cancerous growth internally. Could have absolutely nothing to do with the new tank or water quality issues. There's just not enough info to go on.

I do hope he gets better. We've got one special needs betta and another that's recovering from a fin fungus that almost killed him. Betta are tough fish, he'll recover as best he can. If you want to medicate for general problems you could use MelaFix and PimaFix. Change his water often and keep him warm (76-78 degees F). This'll give him the best chance at recovering.

Sark

Sark