PDA

View Full Version : iridescent catfish

Suspect
07-01-2009, 12:53 AM
is it true they are called "tank busters" because they get so large in aquariums, that when startled, they swim into the glass unknowingly, breaking it? also what is the minimum size for an aquarium to fully house an individual iridescent catfish?

Jacko
07-01-2009, 01:04 AM
Yes, they are known to break tanks because of their zipping when startled, but that only happens when they get some size on them.

To fully house an ID shark, remembering that they get 3 feet long I'd say at least a 5000 gallon tank, depending on the dimensions and filtration system. IMO, these fish are best kept in a public aquarium or a large pond.

rich311k
07-01-2009, 01:17 AM
They need to be left in the river. They just should not be sold.

Northernguy
07-01-2009, 01:28 AM
They are a cool fish when housed properly!
They do get big!

DrNic
07-01-2009, 02:27 AM
The only place I've seen them housed properly is at an aquarium I visited while I was in CT. I believe they had two, although only one was on display. Apparently they had already destroyed 2 enclosures which they were being quarantined in. As a result they were moved to an enclosure that was essentially a HUGE koi pond with a bridge over the top so you could look down into the water.

PostalPenguin
07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
They get massive, so I would agree with needing well over 1000 gallons plus the glass probably should be reinforced.

I often question why places like Petco sell them. They are fish best left to special orders because I really wonder how many people that walk into a Petco to buy them have a 5000 gallon tank at home.

rangur1
07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
irradescent sharks [catfish] belong to the pangasius species . i know of 2 species one is p. sutchi which grows to about 40 inches. the other is p. sanitwongsi which tops out at 8-10 feet.

these fish really belong in their home rivers. i would think a minimum tank for 1 adult sutchi would be 5' x 5' x 12' or a pool/pond this size or bigger.

as for adult sanitwongsi -prey it doesn't EAT you-LOL

good luck with this

Wild Turkey
07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Yea, this is a really a fish that belongs in a large pond or similar size enclosure like a lot of large catfish

wolf_eyes
07-03-2009, 03:17 AM
I really wonder how many people that walk into a Petco to buy them have a 5000 gallon tank at home.

the answer to that is NONE. lol These fish are beautiful when they are young but as they grow older their bodies change a lot and they almost don't look like the same species full grown.

HorrorShowRot
07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Do not purchase one unless you are willing to actually spend the money on a huge tank.

But heres some tips as to not startle it.

1. Since they have bad eyesight. Turn on lights in the room first or open a blind. Leave that for a bit then turn on the lights in the aquarium.

2. Walk up slowly to the tank so that he knows you are there. Most people dont realize all he can see is blobs. So when a blob randomly appears he will freak out.

3. Do not feed them goldfish or any feeder fish they do not really have enough nutrients for an ID shark or Hi fin.

4. Do not keep them in a high traffic room. Loud noises/people or even open windows.

5. Put a rocky backdrop and side drops on the tank. This will help so he does not kill himself or seriously injure himself.