PDA

View Full Version : Compatibility

BirdOfPray
06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm working on cycling my tank (30-gallon hex) and still wavering about a final stocking plan. My current plan is in my signature, but it seems like every time I visit a different LFS I see something new I like or I talk to an employee who tells me what I want won't work. I visited a (very nice) store on Sunday and wound up talking a bit with the guy there. He seemed to think the hatchets I have planned for the surface level will need more swimming space, and suggested I consider a betta to replace them -- which brings me to my question.

I've never kept a betta, let alone in a community tank. I know they can be aggressive and are also vulnerable to fin-nippers. Fish store guy seemed to think it would work with my stocking plan, but I'm skeptical. Would a betta actually get along in a tank with neons and a dwarf cichlid? I'm assuming the pygmy corys wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not so sure about the others. If it might work, I'll certainly look into it. If aggression and fin-nipping wouldn't be a problem, would there be any other concerns about a betta in this tank? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

Northernguy
06-30-2009, 06:33 PM
I think a beta would work with the 6 Pygmy Corys and German Blue Ram.
A school of 6 neons would also fit.
Add the fish slowly and make sure it has some floating plants.I have never seen a beta get tough in a community tank yet.They are the the ones that picked on.I don't think you will have any probs with this mix.
You will need a good w/c schedule.

rich311k
06-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I think you will be fine as well. Bettas are not the nasty fish people make them out to be. They only have problems with similar looking fish to themselves. Sounds like it will be a nice tank.

thrakuarium
06-30-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't see a problem with this either. My only suggestion would be to get a juvie blue ram so the betta gets used to it before it colors up. You could also school up some harlequin rasbora in place of neons if ya wanted to. The hatchets probably are a bit too frenetic for a hex.

BirdOfPray
06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it. My goal is to wind up with an attractive mix of fish that will be healthy and happy in the environment I have for them at a reasonable level of upkeep -- meaning I don't want to make things more difficult by trying to force something that just isn't ideal.

I'm working on getting some plants established right now -- found some corkscrew vals and a couple of aponogeton bulbs (one has sprouted and is growing at an incredible rate), and I hope to add something floating once the rooted plants have gotten a good start and before I add fish. I plan to add the fish gradually over the course of two or three months, with the ram probably being the last one since it seems like the most likely to be territorial. Would any type of dwarf cichlid be less likely to get along with the betta? I'm planning on the ram, but my LFS has a good variety (German Blue Rams, Bolivian Rams, Cockatoos...), which doesn't make the decision any easier. All of their dwarf cichlids I've seen have been juvies, so no problem there.

Would the harlequin rasboras be better than the neons for any reason, or is it just a matter of looks? My husband really likes the coloring of the neons, but if the harlequins would be better I can definitely look into it.

I'll be doing some more reading on bettas, but anything I absolutely must know that I'm not likely to run across in my research? And what might I expect to pay (ballpark figure) if I can find a local breeder rather than buying something in a plastic cup at PetsMart? I'm assuming that's the way to go.

thrakuarium
06-30-2009, 11:05 PM
2 reasons I suggested the harlequins. You mentioned hatchets and I thought the shape might be a more appealing substitute and secondly the neons are a bit more sensitive to new tanks if you have any cycling issues.