PDA

View Full Version : Help

kennedpa
06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Folks, I have a very pregnant Boesiman, either that or she is very constipated :-O She eats well, very active but I suspect she is pregnant. Now I have never breed Rainbows or intended to, especially in a community tank... what is the best plan of action ?(blush)

Sharon
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
It's likely the fry will be eaten...I wouldn't worry.:ssmile:

kennedpa
06-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Captian Obvious :-P

Not the point as I would like to keep the fry :-(

Sharon
06-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Oh sorry...when you said you never intended breeding, I assumed you didn't want to breed...(blush)

kennedpa
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
:11: Well that is true...but I can't help nature :22:

trojannemo
07-01-2009, 02:02 AM
rainbowfish dont get pregnant, they're egg scatterers and always have eggs, but should never have so many that she looks "pregnant." you said she's eating well, is she pooping well? or does she eat but not poop? that would mean constipation and then you could feed shelled peas or something to help digestion. if she eats and poops well, then obviously it's not constipation and could be signs of much worse problems. can you get a picture of the fish?

J Pribb
07-01-2009, 04:42 AM
Is she wider from top to bottom or from side to side. Ive noticed as my bosie gets more mature I notice a more pronounced hump on thier lower side just aft of the gills. Making it look as tho her belly is stretched.

I think it could possibly be a more defined adult shape happening.

Now if its wider side to side definately a problem. Any new diet changes?

kennedpa
07-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Ok trojannemo and J Pribb... she eats well, and poo's well and isnt bigger side to side than top to bottom...re:14: latively speaking

Adult shape? I didnt even contemplate that, but she looks odd and her scales arent flared out. I will try to grab a pic and post it

kennedpa
07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Ok here are a couple of snaps

Wetpets
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Kennedpa

I breed with these... but have never seen one swell to that extent. They are serial (continuos) spawners, laying eggs every day for their season (can last for a few days to a few months). So she should not be that big... I think maybe you have something more sinister than gravidity here - IMHO.

Do you have a male? Is he displaying the white stripe at any point (down the centre of his forehead fromt he dorsal fin to top lip). If so, she may be stockpiling and looking for a suitable spawing site - use wool clump tied to a cork, sterilised of course).

She may also be holding because of tankmates...

Could be dropsy, although rainbows are not as prone to this as gouramis and coldwater fish.

Any other info would be helpful.

WP

PS: Flared scales are a sign of dropsy... sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

kennedpa
07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Kennedpa

I breed with these... but have never seen one swell to that extent. They are serial (continuos) spawners, laying eggs every day for their season (can last for a few days to a few months). So she should not be that big... I think maybe you have something more sinister than gravidity here - IMHO.

Do you have a male? Is he displaying the white stripe at any point (down the centre of his forehead fromt he dorsal fin to top lip). If so, she may be stockpiling and looking for a suitable spawing site - use wool clump tied to a cork, sterilised of course).

She may also be holding because of tankmates...

Could be dropsy, although rainbows are not as prone to this as gouramis and coldwater fish.

Any other info would be helpful.

WP

PS: Flared scales are a sign of dropsy... sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

No no no flared scales :-) There are two males, neither have the said white stripe :-O SHe seems happy and normal

Wetpets
07-01-2009, 02:12 PM
OK, then there may be an outside chance she's hanging onto the eggs for some reason. It's not common, but possible.

Try the spawning mop (wool) to seduce her into laying.

kennedpa
07-02-2009, 08:06 AM
wool as in filter wool? if so, do I just plonk in the tank :sconfused:

Wetpets
07-03-2009, 04:36 AM
No, not filter wool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9X03ZPoUf8

See link above.

kennedpa
07-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Ahhh nows I know watya talking about(blush)

Thanks matey

kennedpa
07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Hmmmm at guess I would say she was holding eggs... today she is slender again