PDA

View Full Version : "LadyHatred's 60g Freshwater Journal"

LadyHatred
06-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009:

Purchased a 60 gallon “tall” aquarium through Craigslist. Price: $350.00
Gear included:
-48L x 24H x 12W = 60 gallons, Black painted back glass.
-2 covers: cut-out strips on back, glass in middle, openable lids up front.
-Magnum 330 Canister filter w\ 1" hose. Media: Foam and Bio bits.
-AC 50 HOB.
-AC Powerhead with prefilter.
-46" Coralife lights; 10,000K F28 T5 BP
-Hagen 250watt heater
-"Big Al's" Stingray Stand: mahogany in color, open-back centre cupboards.
-60-70lb of local river gravel, natrual color.
-30-50lb lace-rock, mostly grey granite color, one tan.

Planned Gear:
-Double-thick black fleece wrap, attached with Velcro, to keep sun out/heat in (DONE! June27)
-Purchase 50’ Python (DONE! June27)
-New clips for canister filter (DONE! June27)
-Purchase extension tube for AC 50
-Purchase replacement bulb (ya, I broke it trying to get it out to see what kind it was!) (DONE! June29)
-Purchase submersible heater, 250watt
-Purchase bubble wall & pump
-Purchase fake plants: tall background, medium foreground
-Purchase java moss
-Purchase conditioner

Things to do:
-Get driftwood: tall, branchy stuff. (DONE! June29)
-Soak wood: Possibly boil the crap out of it at work, or soak it at home. Some tannins is ok but not black water! (DONE! June29-soaking in the bathtub)
-Seed media (under-way!)

Fish plans:
12 Cory’s: Only preference is that they cannot be albino
12 Congo Tetras: Need to talk to LFS guy about ordering for me. (DONE! June 29. Ordered, too early, Damnit! I thought he was calling his supplier for a price and was only half listening and next think I know, he says “They’ll be here on the 13:30 plane tomorrow!” He’s just going to have to keep them for me. I’ll pay him but still, I can’t put them in there. )
OR
12 Cory’s
7 Congo Tetras
4 Angelfish; I don’t really want to go with angels but they would look nice
OR
400 neon tetras!!!!!! I joke. lol
*maybe* a Gold Nugget Pleco. Still on the fence about this; perhaps down the road.

Cycling Plan:
(Plan A) Stuff all available used media into the canister filter. Test water parameters, feed ammonia if necessary until fish arrive.
-Looks like it’s going to be this. LFS guy prematurely ordered fish for me. I’ll stall as long as I can. Need to look into “bacteria in a bottle” of some sort to go along with the seeded media I have.(Plan B) Fill the tank, get it running and cycle with goldfish.
(Plan C) Fishless cycle.

Sunday, June 28th, 2009
Filled the tank using the outside hose. It was a test to check for leaks. No leaks! My well water is awful looking though; murky greenish brown. Yuck!
Turns out the floor is not even; leans forward by two lines on a tape measure. I will continue to check the level and if it gets worse, I’ll drain the tank and install some supports downstairs. If that doesn’t work, then I’ll have to move the tank. I really hope I don’t have to move it!!

Monday, June 29, 2009

Found some drift wood. Well, I found copious amounts, tossed it all in the back of my truck and picked out two that I actually liked. One needed to be cut so I could just have the branchy part of it. Found a super nice hole filled piece, about a foot long but, when I was banging out all the crap from the holes, it fell apart. Way too rotten. Bummer! The ones that Im going to use are soaking in the tub. Too boyant and I'll have to tie them to some of that lace rock to keep it down. Not a biggy, I was going to use those rocks to support it anyway.

Got a replacement bulb, wow, expensive!! Least now I know how to take them out WITHOUT breaking the darned things. And I suppose the saying "when it rains, it pours" is true as the light on my 25 decided it wasn't going to work anymore. 70 bucks for two lights.

LFS guy ordered congo tetras for me today. I did NOT want him to do that!! But, they will be here tomorrow afternoon! He knows I can't take them right away as I'm waiting for my Big Al's order to come in with clips for the canister filter. I'm going to stall as LONG as I can. He's charging me 7 bucks a fish. I need to hit up the other LFS to see what kind of "bacteria in a bottle" they have. This is going to be rough. So much for "planning it all out like one's supposed to do!!" But hey, I've cycled with fish before and had NO media to start with; they were even neon tetras and yess, they are still alive! Some died of course but, I think the fact that most are alive says something about .....well I dunno.

I also have pics and was going to do a "Photo Journal" but cant figure out the album. Got two to load into it, then the rest just went into the general part or w/e it is. As well, I can't find a way to delete them. Ah well.

wolf_eyes
06-30-2009, 01:31 AM
The "bacteria in a bottle" work really well, if you want to pay the amount for it. The brands i have used with success is Sera's Biospira and Super Bac Aquarium's Live! Nitriying bacteria. I've also heard great things about tetra safe start. Maybe you can do a combo between the media you already have and the bottled bacteria?

Northernguy
06-30-2009, 01:35 AM
:19: Really looking forward to pics! Sounds like a wonderful tank!thumbs2:

LadyHatred
06-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Wolfeyes: Yes, I think I have no other choice but to use some kind of jump start. The python is going to make this A LOT easier.

Best laid plans...

NorthernGuy: I have pics! Here's some links;

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/Main_Driftwood.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/Fill_60g_6.JPG

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/60g_2_01.JPG

I'm going to give the wood a couple day soak before I put it in the tank. I wanted to do it today but it came out of a brackish lake and I want to give the salt time to come out.

Northernguy
06-30-2009, 02:35 AM
The tank looks amazing!
Thats a nice peice of wood! It'll look awesome!
What make filter is that? I don't think I want one!lol

sid101
06-30-2009, 02:42 AM
That tank is gorgeous! great buy! looking forward to see it alive =)

Goodbye
06-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Sounds like a nice tank! Good Luck!

Have you decided on what type of cories?

wolf_eyes
06-30-2009, 04:44 AM
Wolfeyes: Yes, I think I have no other choice but to use some kind of jump start. The python is going to make this A LOT easier.

Best laid plans...

LOL I know how that goes. I overnighted my filter media home, planning to keep my cycle and all but, of course, lost it.... ahhh the loveliness of our plans failing haha.

a couple day soak before I put it in the tank. I wanted to do it today but it came out of a brackish lake and I want to give the salt time to come out.
Good idea, better to be safe than sorry. My roommate and I soaked our wood for a month because we found it out by the beach on the atlantic.

Wetpets
06-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Hi,

Looks great, and a superb tank you have there!

I woudn't worry too much abou the salt in the driftwood - it won't harm the fish to have a little leech out, it will make the water softer / more acidic overall. I treat mine to a pot of boiling water, although I think in your case just boil a kettle or three and pour the freshly boiled water over the log. This takes care of 99% of potential nasties!

Can't wait to see more pics...

LadyHatred
06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Monday, June 30th, 2009:

-hooked up the heater and cranked it late yesterday afternoon. At the suggestion of the LFS guy, I tossed in a scallop. At 03:00 today, I have a full bacteria bloom. I can’t test for ammonia as I have to work and do not want to be scratching all day. I put the cover on to keep the light out in the hopes that the bacteria will not turn into algae.

-still no tracking number from Big Al’s. I am growing concerned. If it’s not here after work, I’ll call and see what’s up.
-Called them and was told they just got in the clips I ordered and it should be sent tomorrow.

-driftwood is still as buoyant as yesterday, patients is need. Someone mentioned pouring boiling water over it to kill any parasites that may be in it. I’ll need an awful lot of hot water! The thing is huge! I may try just hot tap water. Thought about bleach but something tells me it’s not a good idea. Decided just to drain and refill with hot water.

- Went back to LFS to return the starter I didn’t need for the 25 and, good news! The fish didn’t come in! Hurray! They won’t be in for at least two weeks.

-scallop in the tank is working. Ammonia is at about 4; smells gross though! I did look at a couple stores to get ammonia but no one had it. I could have sworn WallyWorld had it. But now I don’t know what to do. I have a good level of ammo in there but no main filter and a week to wait. I guess I could drain it and get the decor in. Truth be told, it only took about 24 hours for that scallop to get ammo to 4.

Anomaly
06-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Excellent looking tank! I'll look forward to seeing the tank once you get it all set up! thumbs2:

LadyHatred
07-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Possible scape. Water is really cloudy as I was just in there messing around. And it's not full. Tried putting stuff in there while it was full but made a rather large mess.

It's tied down with fishing line. Yes, I ran out of patients as far as waiting for it to sink on it's own! The "branch" part keeps slipping it's tie and pulls out of the water a bit. Fixable but it has to wait till after work.

I sort of like the placement, might move it a tiny bit more to the center. Taller plants is a must but I wanted to get a feel for it and stole them from other tanks.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/60gScape1.jpg

P.S Just love my coffee jitters making the pic unstable!!

Wetpets
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi LH

Coming on nicely!

I like your setup - nice and 'unbalanced' almost like it would be in nature.

All you need is some hair algae. You want some? I have loads LOL!

Northernguy
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Your tank is looking really good!
I have some driftwood that has been in my tanks now for 8months.They still float to the top if the rocks are moved.lol Just not as fast anymore!:19:

bushwhacker
07-01-2009, 03:42 PM
my last 2 pieces wouldnt sink. went to lowes got a cple slate tiles and some brass screws, and attached the wood . then place them in the tank before putting in the sub.

LadyHatred
07-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Saturday, July 3rd, 2009:

-purchased a stick-on thermometer; running it sideways near the bottom of the tank. Less noticeable that way, I think.
-purchased two 24” Spiral Vals, two mini spiral vals and two sets of “grass”. All fake
-purchased extender tube for AC HOB
-“general aquarium” API Stress Coat+ for a total of just over 50 bucks

-cut 4 inches off the drift wood and re-tied it onto the lace rock; Got a better/neater tie this time. I hear it can take months for it to sink so I did a neat job with the fishing line. It should not be noticeable once I get moss on it. Moved it closer to the middle of the tank, both ends are now around the same distance from the sides while keeping that “unbalanced” look. The green snail shell has moved. I had a suspicion but with that powerhead on, I figured it was just the current. But no, it moved overnight without the powerhead on and I’ve no idea where to this time. It’s not anywhere on the substrate or in any of the hidey holes that I can see. I also noticed a new tiny white snail shell that seems to move around.

-The plant locations are giving me a hard time. I really don’t like they way they look. I tried grouping the tall ones in the back, tried spreading them out, tried staggering them…just looks off somehow. I do like the grass ones though. I want more of those as they look neat lined up against the rocks.

-I pondered getting rid of the tall plants and just use small foreground ones, lace rock, the driftwood and surface plants. I float dismembered fake hornwart in the divided 10; keeps the light from being so bright and the fish jam themselves onto it at night.

Sunday, July 5th, 2009:

-Seen the little white snail this morning. I turned on the light, went for my stool and net, came back and it was gone again! It doesn’t seem to light the lights. Turned them off and I’ll check for him again later. There is still no sign of the large green one. I wonder if they burry themselves in the substrate?

-Still no tracking number from Big Al’s. Day 8
-Still no motor from Vortex.

* I haven’t had to do any water changes in any of the other tanks. They all have extra filters running on them to get extra media seeded. I tested ‘trates on them and the highest number I got was 5 (that being a slight color in the vial, not a match on the card) in the 25. The only maintenance I’ve done to them in almost two weeks has been water top-off and clean the front glass.
Another thing I noticed is that the new light on the 25, a “Sun-Glo”, the java moss grown has really started going nuts. If it keeps going as it is, I’ll not need to buy some for the 60g’s driftwood!

LadyHatred
07-05-2009, 01:27 PM
60g scape 2

You have to look close to see any difference but, thought I'd toss it up anyway:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/60gScape2.jpg

Northernguy
07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
That looks awesome LadyHatred!
Nice tank!thumbs2:

LadyHatred
07-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Northerguy!

Don't think I'll be trying this for TOTM as now everyone knows who's it is! Can I use that as an excuse for another tank? :18:

Another thing I noticed is that the Wild Powerhead gets slower the longer it runs. I guess with new media in there, there is nothing to slow it down. Still makes a decent surface current but no more white water rapids!

Northernguy
07-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks Northerguy!

Don't think I'll be trying this for TOTM as now everyone knows who's it is! Can I use that as an excuse for another tank? :18:

lol I would!:hmm3grin2orange:

bushwhacker
07-06-2009, 12:14 AM
did the dead scallop smell ever go away? my wife says she'll kill me if i ever try to cycle a tank that way...

LadyHatred
07-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Yep, the smell went away in a day after taking it out. It didn't stink up the room; it was more right in the tank.

Just dip your hand in the water and make like you are going to touch her with it when she comes after you. Should keep her at bay!

I really want to know how long it can hold ammonia levels up; it's pointless with no filtration in there. If Big Al's ever gets around to shipping my order, I can do a detailed account on it.

Oh and I got that little snail! When it was out of the water, it looked like a little curled worm but when I tapped it with the net, it made crunchy sounds. I've never heard a crunchy worm. I really hope that is the only one.

LadyHatred
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM
*does a little happy dance*

Both orders came in today! I have my python, diatom filter motor and the clips for the canister filter!! Yay!

Oh and another 60 gallon tank! Think it's a 60; 48L x 12W x 18H :help: It was free, I couldn't help myself! Thankfully, it needs work. The center brace needs to be replaced and, after taking a good look at it, I might want to reseal it. Came with a light thats half the length of the tank, really nice substrate; tiny natural colored gravel, a beat-up background and an UGF. So, as you can see, it needs a bit of help before I set it up. Thats totally fine though!

On a down note; I think the fish in the 25g might have ich. Had a 14 hour power outtage yesterday and today they all look a bit stressed. One or two look like they have a spot or two on them. I was home the whole time and cycled the filters (on for an hour, off for an hour) off the eliminator* for as long as it gave me power. Going to do a water change (with the python!! XD ) and see what happens.

If they have ich, would it be a good idea to treat the whole tank before I take out the extra media thats destined for the 60g? I know ich lives in the gravel and what-not and "attacks" weak fish but....what do you think?

*Eliminator:
I love my eliminator! For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s a power source; looks like a car battery. You keep it plugged in and it keeps itself charged. You can plug up to three devices (depending on how much power they need to run). It has a built-in radio and flashlight. You can boost your truck off it if it’s fully charged; that will deplete its charge but hey, your truck is running WooHoo! This is after being in minus 20°C for two days. Won’t get into it but, that was the best damn winter camping trip I’ve EVER done!

I primarily use it for camping and it will run the CD player for three or four days, then just the radio for another three days (that’s from stupid-o-clock one seems to wake up at while camping until the wee hours of the following morning when you finally stumble back into the tent) on just what is stored in it. You can charge it with an AC adaptor, in the truck via cigarette lighter adaptor, or, and this is my favorite, via solar panels! Said solar panels roll up for storage and when unfurled, lay across the hood of my truck, soaking up the rays, extending the “life” of my wilderness party! If you are careful with it, you can run a “house hold” coffeemaker on it and still get music, although for a much shorter time. LOL Coffee maker in the bush!

It will run two AC 50’s at the same time but, plugging in a heater makes it beep at you, signaling the load is too big. If you’re a dumbass and ignore this sound and continue to demand too much from it, the fuse in it will blow, leaving you S.O.L until you replace it. One can get larger models that will last way longer and take a bigger load but, this one works great for me. *Ok Motomaster, where’s my free stuff for this plug?!*

Northernguy
07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Glad to hear your delivery finally came in!
Are you sure its ick?
Test your temp while you are filling to make sure it doesn't change!

LadyHatred
07-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Huh..

I have just about everything I need to get this going but, I hesitate.

I want to do right by it. Planned fish are going to cost about 100 bucks. I know that's not a vast amount of money, but still...

Maybe I'm...nervous?...because I've had problems with the other tanks? But, who hasn't had issues? It's a silly line of thinking...

Im normally the one who plows right into things, not thinking of what could happen; dealing with issues as they arise. Perhaps "older" me is making me think more and "younger" me is screamin for me to just jump on in!

I've "published" most of my plans for this tank and thus far, no one has said to do something differently. The idea of sharing every tid-bit of info with "the world" is new to me. I'm generally a very private person and part of me is glad there is not a lot of...contradiction (sp?)...or w/e as it would force me to explain myself to people who I don't know.

Bah! I suppose I should just get it over with. Maybe all the noise from the extra pumps and filters is finally getting to me!

bushwhacker
07-09-2009, 03:47 PM
LOL just get er done

LadyHatred
07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Please allow me to introduce 10 new grey hairs. They arrived yesterday whilst setting up a Magnum 330 canister filter. Here's what happened:

-stuff it full of all seeded/used media, fill it with water to that line, spend half hour lining up the lid, turn it on and....it leaks!

-put canister in a bucket (without the motor), pick the intake tube out of the water so it will drain, undo one clip and...upside down water fall! Must have shot water 10 feet in the air. Put the clip back on and pick the out-take hose, drain it, set it on top of the tank, undo a clip. Water spout again! *two grey's arrive* I divert said water into the bucket with my hand, thinking it can't last that long...running out of space, water still comming out...right at the top and it stops! Yay!

-play with the lid for another half hour (I really haven't seen why it was leaking), turn it on and...nothing, won't prime. I'm thinking the water can't be above that line so, off comes that lid, pour water back into the tank, half hour more fussing *more grey hair* with the lid, turn it on and, NOTHING!

-pick up the entire unit, motor and all, turn it upside down, shook it around, put it back down with a bit too much force ( I blame the grey hairs in my eyes) and ta-dah! It works!

Ok, cool. What happens if the power goes out? I pull the plug. Please realize that when it runs, it is completely full of water. Plug pulled, nothing is happening, no leaking or anything. Great! thumbs2: Plug it back in...and nothing! Again! It will not make water flow around. *push grey hairs out of eyes again, revealing a few more*

-turn it on and kinda lean on it, trying to see in behind the tank; maybe a hose is kinked or something. Leaning on it made it start pumping water. I left it alone, it was working and my "power outtage" did go to well but, what can I do?

-couple hours go by and this thing is getting louder and LOUDER. WTF, look at it and see a hose is kinked. Too heavy and it just sags over it, folding. I rig it up with some fishing line. Looks like crap but hey, it's running. Check it an hour later and the fishing line is sinking into the hose. Hasn't cut it but it made a deep line. I put paper under the line.

-this morning, its making ALL KINDS OF NOISE and not flowing water. I mess with it a bit, put weight on top of it and it ran.

Its still running.

LadyHatred
07-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Hot tank.

Tank gets direct sun for about 2.5 to 3 hours. I'm fairly sure this will only be during the summer. I have a cover to attach to it.

My findings with the cover on, heater on, lights on is that it heats up pretty good. About 86.

I will watch it again this evening but I'll have both lids open to see if that will dissapate some of the heat.

I could set the timer to shut the lights off before the setting sun hits it. This will be the next thing I try if the "open covers" fails.

I think Im messing up the cycle. I have all the media that I "seeded" in the canister and HOB filter. Ammonia is just starting to show. There is no fish in there. The only life form in there is another tiny white snail. I am thinking perhaps there are other snails, dead or alive, which are making ammonia?

I am not too worried about loosing any bacteria that may be on the media. That power outtage killed off a lot of it. Going to put a scallop in there today to crank up the ammonia level.

I dont have time to fishless cycle a tank. LFS guy asked me when I wanted those fish, I made excuses, I'm a poor lier though and am unsure if he went for it. He dosen't have them in the store, tells me his supplier is "holding" them for him/me. Not sure if I buy that line. Hard to believe his guy only has the amount of fish I wanted and is "beating off the masses" for me. :fish2:

LadyHatred
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
My patients have run out with this tank, I think.

It's very mind boggling.

The canister is a right pain in the arse. As it is now, it hasn't been running for a day, almost two. The hoses were too long so I cut them. They hang almost verticle now. But nope, it just wont run. Do I buy another one? Drop another 200 bucks only to have the same problem? I don't know if it is something I am doing or the machine itself.

It will almost get going, it will suck/blow all the air out of the hoses then it just stops. I tried leaning on it while it purged but nope, seems as soon as there is nothing but water in it, it just stops.

I had to get rid of the scallops. I just couldn't take the smell anymore. 5 rotting, nasty looking scallops would not get the ammonia above 1.6. I bought a new ammo kit and it still reads the same. Went to WallyWorld, Rona, CrappyTire, both LFS's and the two stores that seem to sell -everything- but none of them had ammonia. Not even the type of ammonia one isn't supposed to use.

All of my used media is now just old dirty looking media; any bacteria on it all has long since died.

J&L, mops and both LFS's do not carry any kind of bacteria booster apart from "Cycle". We all know how usefull the latter is. I'm unsure if Big Al's carries any of the stuff I need but, even if they do, I will never order from them again. I placed two orders with them and two orders have been FUBAR'd.

So I think to myself, even if I did buy a new canister filter, I'd still not be able to get a cycle going. Not a fishless cycle. Then I think, it's summer and work is nuts and when I get home, I just know I will not want to be doing pwc's every day; python or no.

I just do not know what to do.

Northernguy
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
There is most likely a simple problem with the filter.
Mine was a bent impellor shaft.I removed and straightened it out.It was simple.That may be the problem with yours.Is there a manuel with a trouble shooting section?

LadyHatred
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
No, there is no manual for it. I've looked online for a pdf but it is really outdated. It's a Magnum 330. Not 350 although most of the 350's parts will fit it.

Im thinking of ditching the canister filter idea and going with HOB's. The problem I can see with that deal is that the tank is really deep and any flow from the returns will only be in the top half of the water column.

Northernguy
07-15-2009, 11:05 PM
You can always buy an extension for the intake.That way you can get closer to the bottom.Most lfs carry them.
Are you giving up on the canister?

Sarkazmo
07-15-2009, 11:20 PM
Tetra's Safe Start is the old BioSpira. It's supposed to be really good stuff.

Check the canister's impeller and the impeller well. It could be that it's gummed up.

If you have to have a canister there's lots to choose from: Fluval, Ehiem, etc... Personally, I'd go with a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB.

You can get plain ammonia at some grocery stores and I think all "Dollar" stores carry the stuff. Drs.Foster&Smith are excellent to deal with. I've never had an issue with an order from 'em.

It's all frustration now but once you get a working filter you'll be ok. :)

Sark

LadyHatred
07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
You can always buy an extension for the intake.That way you can get closer to the bottom.Most lfs carry them.

If you are talking about intakes for HOB's, yep, I know. I use them on almost all the other tanks. What I worry about is general flow in the tank. Take the HOB on the 60g now; it's return flow will not reach the half-way depth of the water. The intake sits about 5 inches off the bottom. So without water movement, there will be very little filtration of the bottom part of the tank.

Are you giving up on the canister?

I'm giving up on this one but, Im not sure if Im done with canisters in general. I love the idea of 90% of my media being in one place. I love the amount of media options canisters offer. I like the return hose as it is about a foot long and makes a nice flow. And lastly, it's only one thing to plug in.

If I run 3 or 4 HOB's I can have almost as much media but, then I have 3 or 4 more things to plug in. As it is now, I have 6 "things" plugged in and still need to add another set of "moon lights". There is room now but not with all those aditional filters.

LadyHatred
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Tetra's Safe Start is the old BioSpira. It's supposed to be really good stuff.

Yep, yep! It's what I'm after.

Check the canister's impeller and the impeller well. It could be that it's gummed up.

If you have to have a canister there's lots to choose from: Fluval, Ehiem, etc... Personally, I'd go with a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB.

I am concerned about the entire tank being filtered with a "top dwelling" filter and minimal return flow.

You can get plain ammonia at some grocery stores and I think all "Dollar" stores carry the stuff. Drs.Foster&Smith are excellent to deal with. I've never had an issue with an order from 'em.

I am Canadian. I would love to order from Dr.F&S but with the exchange and shipping...I'd need to take out a bank loan! I haven't checked out the "Dollar" store...I'll do that tomorrow.

It's all frustration now but once you get a working filter you'll be ok. :)

Sark

I hope so! The tank, to me anyway, look really nice. Especially at night but its missing fish!

Northernguy
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
The hob will still work! Here check out this link.
http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/magnum_manual.pdf

Let me know if it works!thumbs2:

LadyHatred
07-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Its so close! The impellor is different though. The one shown there looks similar to the ones in AC filters. This one is flat and wide, perhaps 2.5 inches in diameter. the stem is maybe two inches. By stem, I mean the bit with the magnet.

Northernguy
07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Thats all the info I can find on it. Are you sure the impellor is seated properly.It says something about clickng into place but that the 350.
Keep messing with it.Don't throw it any more! lol

LadyHatred
07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I have nitrites. o.O Not a lot; .1 to .3 It just dosen't make sense! Ammonia is still at 1.6

I went to the LFS and got the riot act...apparently I messed up my dates and the congo's have been there since Tuesday. I was sure it was next Tuesday... Anyway, they look very pale and scared. He has them in a tank of their own although it's bare apart from substrate and the lights are really bright. I offered to buy plants and food for them as I just can not take them yet but he said no, he will wait. He also said he would adjust the pH in their tank to match mine. The difference isn't huge but with them stressed out as they are, I want to make the switch as painless as possible; they have a 40 minute truck ride on a less than decent road.

The reason I went to the shop was to beg some seeded media off him as I knew my time was running out. He gave me this...stuff...it smells like dead fish and is blue. He had a big jug of it and poured me a pint or so of it. I really can't remember the name and I dont think it was even in English. lol Told me to put 1 tsp per 10 gallons for 3 or four days, put the scallops (new ones! lol) back in, crank the heat up and keep the lights on. Apparently it's going to cycle my tank in a few days. lol I don't believe him. There is no "Instant cycle" on the market.

This is day two and as I've already said, I have nitrites. It also makes lots of tiny bubbles in the water. He's closed till Monday and I'll go back for the name for sure!

On another note, I think I've figured out why the canister filter it won't run properly. I think the intake is too long. I stabbed it full of holes and it seems to prime and continue to run every time now. It's been running steady since...Thursday?..nite. *fingers crossed* I'm still pondering HOB's though. They are so much quieter. We'll see.

Northernguy
07-18-2009, 02:10 PM
What kind of noise is it making?
Is it loud?
You stabbed your intake and now it works!Are you sure there is no blockage inside the tube?

LadyHatred
07-18-2009, 02:52 PM
What kind of noise is it making?
Is it loud?
You stabbed your intake and now it works!Are you sure there is no blockage inside the tube?

It makes loud motor noise...no other way to explain it. I might be able to line the cabnit with foam or something to dampen the noise but, until I trust it, Im not going to make some elaborite...thing...I want it easily accessable.

I'm as sure as I can be about it not being blocked. I can blow through it with no resistance.

I think what was happening is that the intake was way too long and the airlock was simply too large for the motor to pull through the initial spike when the water did start flowing. With the holes, I switch it on for a couple seconds, turn it off, wait for the canister to fill up, turn it back on and its good to go. With no holes, I had to jimmy it on and off to get the giant air bubble to go over the top of the tank. It's been running steady with no buggering up *knocks on wood* for a couple days now.

Maybe the craigslist guy wasn't quite honest and the filter was sitting longer than a week. Perhaps there was dust or w/e and it just needed to be freed up....I dont know.

Northernguy
07-18-2009, 03:03 PM
If there is air in the canister it will make a noise.
There must be a way to prime it before turning it on that you may have missed.
Oh well its working now! Good luck with it!thumbs2:

LadyHatred
07-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Wow! Fish!! Put 12 congo tetras in today. 7 bucks each. A steal! :D They seem fine and not nearly as frantic as they were in the store. LFS guy says he's been feeding them a slurry? Dunno what that is but I bet they will love the frozen stuff I've been feeding the rest of my tanks.

The blue gunk seems to be working quite well. NiteAtes are still a bit high for my liking (15-20) but other than that, I haven't seen a trace of ammo or 'trites since I put it in there. I will do a pwc tomorrow after work to give these guys time to chill out. And of course, I'll keep checking water chem to make sure nothing out of the ordinary happens.

I am going to need a baby pleco though. I can see a nice film of green algae on my drift wood and want to get it controlled before it goes ape-s#*† on me like the 25 did. That will mean I need to drop the cory count to 6 or 7. And I'll need to add more caves. Neither of this is bad news!

I used 12 one litre bottles of frozen water to keep the temp at 80-85 lastnight during sun-set. A bit of a pain but I can manage. I might use 2 litre's instead as the ice will last longer.

Yay!! FISHES!! :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Sounds great! congrats!thumbs2:

LadyHatred
07-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Day 2 with the Congo Tetras.

Everyone is still alive. I noticed detail (white edge and some black mid-tail) on their fins this afternoon. To me, that says they are relaxed and feel safe.

I was nervous about these guys as I read on numerous sites that they are very skiddish and shy and need a heavily planted tank to feel good and act "normal". Well...if this is shy, I'm almost afraid of what comfy is going to look like! I can walk around the tank, do stuff, like rearrange plants (arm-pit deep in the tank), put in the ice bottles/take them out, attach/remove the cover (to keep the sun off) and the fish, are interested in what I'm doing; not cowering in a corner in a tight group. They inspect my arm and fingers, follow me back and forth in the tank. Their still a bit unsure about "lights on!" as its quite shocking how bright they are at first but, seconds later, they are back to being tetras. They even play that odd "king of this spot of water" that the cardinal and silver-tip's do. How odd.

I think the LFS guy has been using a net to feed them from because when I put their food in (thawed in a net) they totally swim right in it. I can move it around and they STILL are in it. I pretty much need to leave the net in there because I can't take it out without a fish or two refusing to leave.

Thankfully they are not so inquisitive as the female bettas in that I can have the python in there without them wanting to get into the end of it. Their not afraid but their not trying to jam themselves into it like the girls do.

I put an Anubias (think that is the name) plant in there today. My first real plant! Java moss dosen't count because you just can't kill it! LOL Apparently, this is almost as indestructable as moss. Time will tell.

AABatteries
07-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Sounds like fun! My Anubias turned into a snack for my pleco, along with half of my other plants. :ssad:

Just a comment, that "bacteria" in a bottle, is just a scam. Sure, it can help with cycling, but it can not be mass produced, then bottled. And that's coming from a college professor, who just happens to be a fish keeper.

It takes days, even weeks, the grow minute counts of beneficial bacteria for aquariums. And its grown in the best conditions a college lab can provide. So, any "bacteria" in a bottle is no going to contain any of that bacteria.

LadyHatred
07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
The congo tetras have been in there 11 or 12 days. Everyone is alive and active. Part of me thinks they may be a crossbreed as feeding time is a bit chaotic.

I think they are some kind of congo-psycotic pirrana-tiger shark type fish as they have managed to tear my net appart. I thaw the food in it and dip the net into the tank. The fish swarm it and have a frenzy. Taking the net out is not an option because there are fish in it, around it, on it. I tried putting just the tip of it in, the part where all the food is, by pinching it in my fingers and lowering it in there; I counted my fingers after that. These guys have teeth! Small ones but still, one can feel them.

I'm having trouble keeping the temprature steady. The house heats up in the late afternoon. I"ve been putting in ice bottles, one after another to keep it below 85. The fleece cover I made for it seems to keep the heat in; So I play "follow the sun with part of it. I might see about getting small clip-on fans for it.

Going to add corries next week. I feel that I am being cockey with this tank and after a short thread on here, that feeling is magnified. Now I think if I do add them all at once, the tank might crash. I'll keep thinking, I have time.

Northernguy
07-28-2009, 03:22 PM
3 at a time. your cycle will build up to it and add 3 more.
thats playing it fairly safe.

LadyHatred
07-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Poor little guys!

I'll be leaving them for 3 nights. They will get a rude awakening tomorrow so I have time to feed them before I go; then lights out until I get back. I will be missing the w/c by a day, maybe two (depends how late I get home).

I have someone comming over during "sun set" to ice the tanks but I dont trust enough to feed without over-feeding; besides, I got squeemish looks when I showed her how to thaw it out. She was here for the ice regime yesterday and to my suprise, took notes! LOL Its not hard but w/e makes her feel comfy, I guess.

I'm fairly sure they will be fine....it's just...their babies!

I feel bad to just ditch them all like this but its to the point where I see things on the drive home. I really need sleep. I've been going on 15 or so hours of sleep in the last week/ten days. All fans are on the tanks and the thought of snuggling up to a stand to get a few moments of relative coolness has crossed my mind but, I'm an...active...sleeper and I'd not want to knock a tank over. lol

Good luck fishies!

LadyHatred
08-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Tank is...great actually. Not that I wanted problems but after adding 12 fish on the same day, I figured it would be nothing but problems. Last Saturday was the first pwc that I didn't add the blue stuff to the new water. I instead added Stress Coat+ that I use on all the other tanks.

The congos are very active. Two of the larger ones seem to be males and are constantly showing off to eachother and having "races" back and forth. I am a little bit worried about the small one. He/she gets food at every feeding but it is slow to grow. It's still brown and small. Might be a female but I dont know. Absolutely, amazingly beautiful fish!

I added a plant. Anubis nana, I believe. It has put out a new leaf and although it's pale in comparison to the rest of the leaves, I think it will come around. I read that this plant is a...rizhome?...and that said rizhome (think Im spelling it wrong) can't be burried. BUT! I dont know what it looks like...might be burried, I dont know! Something seems to be eating it too. I suspect it's the teensy snail I see from time to time. I dont know where they keep comming from. The congos will eat them if they happen to see them. Their just so tiny; like a spec and if you dont sit there long enough, you'd never know it was a snail. I tried lettuce and zuccini but the only thing it attracted was the two large male congos who faught over it even though they had no intention of eating it.

I put in three pepper cory's today. I have planned for more but...something is just not sitting right with me on these fish. They seem to be doing ok. I am a bit concerned because they came from LFS guy's "death tank". Not that there are always dead fish in it, it's just when he gets ottos, he uses that tank for them. Then I buy them, they end up dieing here. Time will tell I guess. They seem to want to explore the tank and the congos want to investigate them. I also bought sinking shrimp pellets for part of their diet. I'll switch it with those, cucumber, zuccini and what ever frozen food hits the substrate. I'm pretty sure that will be enough.

60g Inmate count: 12 congo tetras & 3 pepper corries.

MonkeyPox
08-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Tank is...great actually.

That's fantastic news!

Northernguy
08-14-2009, 01:57 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: 60g Inmate count: 12 congo tetras & 3 pepper corries.

Glad to hear your tank is coming around! That is great news.thumbs2:

LadyHatred
08-19-2009, 01:54 AM
None of the LFS's here sell any other brand of sinking shrimp pellets. So for now, I just have to hope that the corries get enough leftovers. I know the congo's miss some of it, especially when its the nasty looking red worm thingies. They are long and the fish has to actually chew a bit. Gives some time to hit the substrate.

I add cucumber and nothing happened. all the fish were "down wind" of it, nipping for choice spots but no one ate any of it. I tried with watermelon. Again, the congo's were all huddled about 2 inches behind it, smelling (I guess) it on the current. The corries gave it a try. Not sure if they ate any of it though. It's still in there.

Northernguy
08-19-2009, 02:01 AM
Try a chunk of banana on a fork.
Not fot more ten minutes though! lol
You may wany to use a net if you forget in there!lol My fish go nuts for it!

LadyHatred
08-21-2009, 09:19 AM
The canister filter is on it's way out. Keeps making screechy noises then stops circulating water. If I turn it off and back on again, it will work for a few hours, then makes that noise. I took it apart, thinking perhaps something was in there but, it was clean. The inpellor spins freely, the filter media rig sits properly on it's pegs. I blew through the hoses, thinking maybe they had a clog but, nope.

I really can not afford a new filter at the moment. The cheapest one suitable for that tank is over 200 bucks after taxes and shipping. I have another HOB that I can get on there after some McGyver moves...the trim is really wide and this particular HOB dosen't sit properly on it. AquaClear's fit it after some modification but, LFS guy wants 90 bucks for an AC 110. When it comes down to it, I do not think HOB's will filter it properly as the tank is really tall.

I haven't fed them for a couple days as I do not need a spike if the thing stops working while I am away from home. Maybe they will start eating those snails. lol

Ah well. I had a feeling this would happen but talked myself into thinking I was just being negative. *dusts off the credit card* It's only money I suppose, eh....

MonkeyPox
08-21-2009, 01:11 PM
90$ for an AC 110 is the right price.
AquaClears come with a double intake so you can pull water from a decent depth.
You could always get a small piece of PVC and extend the intake even further if you like.
Intake depth isn't all that important when compared to how much water it pumps. It will create circulation, which will in turn create water turbulence and move water around the whole tank. A tank your size isn't really subject to a dead zone for an AC110. If it was significantly larger, you would either add a second filter or powerheads to move water from the side of the tank opposite the filter.

LadyHatred
08-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Yesterday, I came home to find the canister not working. I picked it up off the motor and it was wet. The nub on the canister that fits into the female end of the motor looked to be worn down; as though there had been something in there.I deied it off and watched it. Thats not where it was leaking. The leak was comming from the scratch on the bottom. Apparently it wasn't a scratch but a crack; very small and unassuming. So off I go, back to town for an AC 110 and extention tubes.

It -just- fits between the tank and wall. I put the bio media from the canister into a panty hose foot and put it under the AC's new bio media. Cut the sponge that wrapped around the bio media chamber in the canister and put it under the AC's new sponge. With that in there, I can't fit the carbon bag but, I run carbon/floss in the other AC that is on the tank. I also poured all the water from the canister into the new AC.

This morning, the water is cloudy. Not like a bacteria bloom cloudy but, murky; almost like tannins. It's water change day but I dont know if I should. I dont think adding more filtration will make the tank cycle. I could be wrong though. There is also a lot more bubbles from the 110's output. I will observe for a while and see if I should turn it down. The congo tetras do not appear to be having issues with the current. The corries are a bit slow in learning where the new current is; I watched one get blown down. They all did that when I first put them in though so...they will learn.

The tank is now very quiet. :D If I get a submersable heater, it would be even more quiet as I would be able to fill it all the way up.

LadyHatred
08-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Added 2 more corries today. I think that will be it as far as they go. I really want a pleco in there!

The AC110 is great! I am somewhat glad the canister is gone as I can rely on the AC. I do need a submersable heater though as the HOB's sit high and make a lot of noise. With a submerged heater, I can fill the tank the rest of the way and quiet it down a bit.

I may cut all but half inch off the lids so I can center the HOB's a bit more. There is decent current in there now and I am fairly certain enough water is passing through...I just think it would look better with on larger water input than one on either side.

I finally got a properly working (as far as I can tell anyway) diatom motor. My god, it's been months dealing with these idiots. I would love to give it a proper run but I lost the tube that goes inside the jar...I just can't find it. LFS guy has what I need though. Tomorrow I'll give it a run before I notify Vortex. I really hope it works.

60g Inmate Count: 12 Congo Tetras, 5 Pepper Corries. :1luvu:

LadyHatred
09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Hmm, Im not sure I like the substrate in there. It dosen't fit with the rest of the stuff in there. I may change it out this weekend with the other tank's. I put some of that in the 8 gallon and it looks quite nice. It's very dirty though...lots of rinsing! The fish are going to hate me. I hope it dosne't make the tank cycle either! >.< Maybe I'll save some of the water thats liable to be full of...stuff...

Yay, weekend project!

LadyHatred
09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
New substrate! 3 and a half hours.

Ran out of buckets for the old so I had to shove everything in the tank to one side, dump the new stuff into the "empty" side and finish taking out the old.

My god was the "new" substrate dirty! Found rocks, shells, pine needles, dead leaves, broken glass, and a seagull figure on a pin of all things. Took about an hour of sifting through to make sure it was all out. Then lots of rinsing.

I'm running the diatom filter on the tank now as well as the powerhead with carbon in the center. With the torrential downpouring of rain for the last 12 hours, my well is a bit cloudy.

The fish did suprisingly well. had them in a bucket while all that went on. They were a bit pale but colored up within 5 minutes of being back "home".

The set-up is basically the same. The live plant glomed onto/into the old substrate so I just left it as is and set it in a hollow in the new substrate. I couldn't tell where I am able to pull it apart to get a "new" plant off it. Perhaps it will become obvious after it grows some more.

Pics to come tonight!

LadyHatred
10-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Well doesn't this just suck?!

Last night I, with the help of another forum member, discovered that my Gold Nugget Pleco is not a GN Pleco!

I knew what they looked like and just assumed he would grow into his colors. Mine sort of looks like one but, nope, it's confirmed. He is not L018, he is L196. The definition of assume rings true here. I am very embarrassed. The LFS guy has a lot of explaining to do.

MonkeyPox
10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear that LH! As long as you are happy with him though. :19:

LadyHatred
10-31-2009, 04:54 PM
I am happy with him but, the problem is, is that he is going to be 14+ inches. I'd love to keep him but, I don't have the tank space. One might say it's a grand excuse to buy a bigger tank but, I just don't have the money.

I suppose I could keep him and let him be stunted but, that is just cruel. The only thing left is for me to return the fish and either get him to re-order the proper one or return the fish for credit. I can order right from the supplier but I like to use the shop as he will hold the fish for a week to make sure they are eating and healthy.

I have a couple days to decide on what I'm going to do.

Lab_Rat
10-31-2009, 07:00 PM
That sucks Fluffy, sorry to hear that it's the wrong fish. But according to Planet Catfish, the L-196 only gets 0.6" larger than the L-018.

Northernguy
10-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats terrible! I hope they do something about it for you.

I bought two perch that were suppose to be green severums!
I told her(lfs lady) about it yesterday,she said they sold her the wrong fish.I agreed with her and reminded her she sold me the wrong fish.
I didn't even get an apology or an offer to replace them.I got nothing!
She started talking to another customer that had walked in at that moment.
This is a lady I have known for close to 30yrs.To say the least I am not impressed!

LadyHatred
11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
That sucks Fluffy, sorry to hear that it's the wrong fish. But according to Planet Catfish, the L-196 only gets 0.6" larger than the L-018.

Huh, you are absolutely right. Why is it that I got it into my head GN's stayed at about 8 inches?

lol Apart from the Congo tetras, everything about this tank has not gone according to plan.

LadyHatred
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Bit of an update I suppose.

Still have not replaced the canister filter. The AC110 and 50 are doing a fine job. I might want to get another 110 just for the extra media and to put a bit more flow in that side of the tank. Perhaps "santa" will bring one. *rolls eyes*

The snail populations seems to ebb and flow. One day it's teeming with them and the next I'm hard pressed to see one. I've been trying to train the congo tetras to eat them off things like plants and glass but so far, it's not working too well. They only eat them if I flick them into the water.

Added a couple more corys bringing the total to 9 ( I think, their hard to count). One died and was found in the base of a plant. Not sure what happened.

The pleco is getting bigger and I'll have to start thinking of getting him a larger hide-out. The one he stuffs himself (Yep, it's a boy, has those spiky things along his lower half) into now looks rather small and it's quite the show watching him back-swim his way out.

I added some "live" plants today:
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/NewPlantsDec21.jpg
And:
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/NewPlantsDec212.jpg

I really like the way the bushy ones look. These pics do no justice as it's from my cell; the only working camera I have at the moment. The grass ones I can't get off the foam, the roots are too grown into it and just break off if I try. I shoved it into the substrate and hope for the best.

I'm not sure if my lights are strong enough for these plants but, time will tell. I've been wanting to get different covers for that tank and, if I have to get another set of lights, it will give me a good excuse to update the lids. :)

The congo tetras are all alive and well; 1 female, 11 males. The boys give her a hard time in the morning though. I feel bad for her but she seems to be holding up. Hopefully the plants will give her a few more things to hide out in when she needs it.

Well, guess that's it!

Lab_Rat
12-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Looks good Fluffy! The anacharis is gorgeous. It may get a little leggy without a ton of light but that's ok, it will still suck up nitrates like crazy.

rich311k
12-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Looking good! Nice job.

LadyHatred
12-22-2009, 02:09 AM

I haven't had nitrate issues since I stopped using that nasty blue stuff from LFS guy.

This tank is rock solid. Had some pH issues when I added more wood to it but it seems to have settled. I have to do smaller water changes now that my well water's pH is bottomed out for the winter but, I'm sure things will be just fine.

aspects
12-22-2009, 02:19 AM
If you are talking about intakes for HOB's, yep, I know. I use them on almost all the other tanks. What I worry about is general flow in the tank. Take the HOB on the 60g now; it's return flow will not reach the half-way depth of the water. The intake sits about 5 inches off the bottom. So without water movement, there will be very little filtration of the bottom part of the tank.

I'm giving up on this one but, Im not sure if Im done with canisters in general. I love the idea of 90% of my media being in one place. I love the amount of media options canisters offer. I like the return hose as it is about a foot long and makes a nice flow. And lastly, it's only one thing to plug in.

If I run 3 or 4 HOB's I can have almost as much media but, then I have 3 or 4 more things to plug in. As it is now, I have 6 "things" plugged in and still need to add another set of "moon lights". There is room now but not with all those aditional filters.

sorry, had to go back to this post.

the AC110 holds as much media as canisters rated for the same sized tank as the HOBs. (around 4L/1G of media space). they also offer a much higher flow rate than comparable canisters which will make for better mechanical filtration. i would suggest selling off the smaller AquaClear filter (and maybe even the powerhead) and investing in 1 or 2 AC110's. solves the filtration problem, and no need to plug in all kinds of extra stuff.

i also did a write up on how to re-plumb AquaClear filters for maximum efficiency. a simple and cheap DIY solution will solve the circulation problem in your tank (what you were mentioning about the intake being too short and not filtering the bottom of the water column).

ok now that i dug that up from the boneyard, i wanted to also say, i love your choice of DW for your tank. it looks great. thumbs2:

tetra
12-23-2009, 04:09 PM
very nice !!!Tank is coming along nice.

LadyHatred
12-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Pulled everything out of the tank and rearranged it. The "tall" wood on the left is still too buoyant and I can't get it lower without laying it flat on the bottom. The original one that was in there since day one is almost 100% water-logged. It gets moved around by the current so I have a small rock laying on it to keep it in place. I figure another month or so and it will sink and stay.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60gDec25-09.jpg

Yeah, the glass has water marks on it AND there are those silly plants that wont stay down. Those floaters are getting put into one of the other tanks. Have to take off my shirt in order to get them back on the bottom and I've re-planted them at least 27 times already.lol Also, my well water is really creepy today. Looks as though I'm having some kind of mini-cycle but, no ammonia spike yet.*crosses fingers* I'll do another test in a while.

I am not happy with the way it looks. The water was getting cold too cold and the filters off for too long. I kept stepping back to see what it looked like, took my time but, no matter what I did, I was never happy with it. lol

Maybe if the plants grow up, or fill in more. Not sure. I'll let it set for a couple days and if I'm still not thrilled, I'll either put it back to what it looked like before or try something else.

I now have no fake plants in there..:help:

LadyHatred
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Not only do pythons rock....

They smoke...
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt316/MistressVashti/60g%20Aquarium%20Journal/60gSmoke.jpg

Lab_Rat
12-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Lol, I've never had my python smoke! How warm is the water you're refilling with? I think your tank looks nice Fluffy.

LadyHatred
12-30-2009, 11:42 PM
The plants are recovering nicely. I added those fert sticks; the package says they are good for a year. We shall see. Some of them have started putting out roots, others have adjusted themselves for optimum light. I think it will be okay. :ssmile: The anubis nana I had in there loves it's new spot. It has straightened out a lot more like, reaching up as, opposed to the sideways direction it had before.

I added 4 Pearl Goruamis to the 60g on Dec 29th. I believe I have one male and three females. It is hard to tell as they all look the same fin-wise, size-wise and color-wise. He had some Opaline (think that's how it's spelled) but they looked a bit rough. Rougher still, were the dwarf ones. Poor things. The four I got have been there for quite some time.

I floated them while adding tank water for longer than I normally would so the Congo tetras could get a good look at them.

*taken from private notes*
Once I added them, I kind of guarded them for a few minutes with the net then left them on their own. I think one is going to die as it is just hiding out on the bottom and has this odd blank spot on him. I say blank because it's not white but it's not detailed like the rest of him/her.

The congo's are playing it cool. The dominant male has nipped from behind a couple times but hasn't chased the gourami for any great length of time. I watched the two sub male congo's swim head on towards one and had to laugh when the gourami spread his "feelers" out in-front of him; stopped the congo's dead in their tracks.

The lights are off for now. Hope it doesn't hurt the plants too much as they will be getting 3 hours less than normal. No one is getting fed in that tank tonight as I need the gourami's to just chill. I usually feed right after I add fish to a tank. Seems to take their minds off of being in a new place but, decided to try something new.

I hope they are all alive tomorrow. I keep sneaking over to take a look but with only ambient light getting in there, it's hard to really see what's going on.

*crosses fingers*

~Morning of December 30~
Just snapped the light on for a few seconds. All four made it through the night alive. Even the one who was hiding. I'll get a closer inspection when I come home from work. Their ventral fins (feelers) make me giggle. Such an odd sight.

~15:20 Dec 30~
Their alive! Two are mingling in with the congo tetras. Two are on the other side of the tank, being entertained by the dominant congo. Well, I suppose "entertainment' is in the eye of the beholder; the congo is swimming up and down the glass and the two goruami are just hanging out, not looking overly impressed.

Fed the tank thawed mixed critters and everyone ate with no problems. Did a close inspection of the gourami's and no one's missing fins or has nicks on them. I still can't tell male from female. They still look the same.

I really need to get the hang of this camera. I'm nowhere near the sharpness and clarity that I desire. I usually end up with a nice crisp shot of the back of the tank or wood or my own reflection. Just keep on clickin' I suppose. It's not as though it costs film. ;)

LadyHatred
02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Bit of an update, I suppose.

I'm not sure how many Cory's I have. I think I've seen 3 or four in the last week. I have yet to see a dead one though. Perhaps they are just hiding.

The male Congo's still relentlessly chase the lone female for a couple hours each morning. If they are not all chasing her, the one's who aren't are sparring with each other. I think the female is laying eggs as I've seen her a bit fatter than normal a few times. Although I have yet to see eggs or fry.

The Gourami's are an odd bunch. Now that they've adjusted to life in my tank, they've colored up a lot more and don't hide. I may have to exchange two though as I believe I have 3 males and one female. Three are red-chested and quite larger than the non-red chested one. The one I'm assuming as female spends a lot of her time in the plants, nibbling but not wrecking them. The "males" hang out with the Congo's but can't swim as fast when they get going.

I do need to find a vegetable based food though. They eat mostly frozen stuff and by the looks of it, it's mostly critters. Perhaps they are spoiled but when I feed them pellets, granules or flake it's not quite the frenzy. Picky bastards. :P

The plants are very long. The Cabomba (Carolina Fanwort) reaches the surface and has started bending, same with the Anacharis (Egeria densa). The latter looks very lanky. The anubias nana is acting strange and is still being attacked by something. New shoots are being chewed and as much as I'd like to blame snails, I haven't seen any in weeks. I'd like to separate it into two plants but I'm not sure how to do that. The grass stuff is green and getting taller but is slow to grow. It's not spreading as I hoped it would; probably due to it being stuck in that foam it came in. There is one more that I can't, for the life of me, remember what it's called (smells like lemon when you crush one of it's leaves). Either way, it's very slow to grow.

I was going to switch to Eco-Complete but, they seem to be fine without it. And an added bonus to them is, for what-ever reason, they clear my cloudy well water within a day.

The funny thing is, apart from the anubias, all these plants are in the 10g as well and grow "normally". There is not steroid-like growth in there and the "lemon" plant has grown as much as the others. But as neat as that is, all those plants are still unable to out-compete the algae in there.

Oh and the pleco... he will go to the spot where the veggie on a fork is and if it's not there, he'll thrash around the tank; like he's having a temper tantrum. The night's he does get his veggie, he will keep an eye on it from one vantage point or another, all his fins up. It's cute.

LadyHatred
02-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Picked up two bunches each of:

Indian Fern (Ceratopteris cornuta)
Melon Sword (Echinodorus osiris rubra)
Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) Think this one is the 'Philippine' one as the pic on plantgeek.net match it better than "normal" microsorum pteropus.

For now, I just plopped them into the 25, still in the terra cotta things. Almost before they hit the substrate all the tetras were in the plants. They usually hide under the driftwood unless I'm in there or it's chow time. I may leave some of the Indian fern floating in there but the other ones are destined for the 60.

The 60 needs major pruning. The anacharis is really stringy and getting out of control. I'm going to cut it right down and replant with the hopes that it will fill the back wall. I'd like the cabomba to fill the sides (via cutting and replanting) and have that odd slow growing, lemon scented one in front of them. The melon sword is going....not too sure on this one and the java fern is getting put in the front-ish center of the tank. I'll have to take out the pleco's hiding rock but he will have other places to hide. Or maybe I can keep it in there somewhere; perhaps up-root the anubias nana, lay the rock flat and attach the plant to it. May not work; I should have picked up some of that slate I was eye-balling but it's so expensive!

Pics! I know!! Tomorrow when it's all set up though.

LadyHatred
02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Odd tank tests today.
Ammo: 0
'trites: 0
'trates 30
pH: 5 <--wtf? Its the color of orange koolaid.

Tested twice and in the other tanks. This one is the only one coming back as 5. With that said, I don't know if the ammo count is really zero either as the chart doesn't go that low; the vial remains clear though.

The only reason I tested in the first place was because my pleco turned up dead this morning. His cucumber was half uneaten at lights on and that lead me to poking around for him. Sure enough, he floats to the top when I move his log. Not a mark on him; he was his usual black with gold markings, his eyes were black, his fins intact. I didn't think he was dead but I shook him around in the net and he just lay there. No gill movement, dead.

Did a 70% water change and decimated a bunch of plants getting into the gravel; not too much in there surprisingly.

Ran another set of tests 2 hours after the water change and got similar results, the difference being the 'trates; they are now just a ghost of color.

Maybe the cucumber had something wrong with it? I had the other chunk on my salad last night and feel fine. Although, I'm not nearly as small as a fish!

Very strange.

LadyHatred
04-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Well...where to start?

The tank was fantastic. My best one, the most stable, entertaining and enjoyable of the 5 I ended up with.

In January, I lost my job and, despite doing everything within my power, I was unable to keep the tanks running. I had to move. Last week, I tore apart the 10, 20, 25 and the 120 first, packed nearly 80% of the rest of the house before bringing myself to kill this tank.

It was...an odd feeling. They swim right into the net. I've never hurt these silly little fish. They're so trusting. So...needless to say, netting them out and into the ice water bucket was quick.

All the tanks are in storage, I tossed the driftwood and a ton of other "aquarium stuff" thats accumulated over the years.

I feel like a heel for killing all those fish. I've never lost control of my situation before. I do hope to set up the tanks again...but I know it will be quite some time before that happens.

I wish to extend my personal thanks to everyone here on the AC for the excellent advice, tips & tricks, knowledge and good times. Keep up the good work folks!

Lab_Rat
04-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Oh no Fluffy, I'm so sorry to hear that. I was wondering where you'd been. Good luck with everything.

Cermet
04-10-2011, 01:10 AM
So very sorry for your situation and I hope things get better, and soon. Good luck.