PDA

View Full Version : Asian themed 125g

Arouse
06-29-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm getting a 125g going and could use some suggestions for stocking with an asian theme. It has a Fluval 405 canister (340gph) and an Emperor 400 biowheel (400gph). My water is very soft, slightly acidic and has nitrate of ~10ppm, so I'd like to have fish that won't require too much water treatment.

Current inhabitants:
6 golden barbs (staying)
3 minnows (used for cycling)
3 otos (moving to a different tank soon).

Other fish I'm considering:
Rosy barbs
khuli loaches
panda garra
gold, giant, snakeskin or thicklipped gourami
ruby shark
peacock goby (gudgeon)
asian stripped, hummingbird or pearl catfish
peacock eel
celestial pearl danio
siamese algae eater

So I could use some advice on compatibility, stocking numbers, top zone inhabitants (it seems like I have too many bottom dweller options) or other super cool asian fish I may have overlooked.
Thanks!

robflanker
06-30-2009, 12:08 AM
The Asian Riverbed Aquarium (120-200 liter)
This set up is very nice if you are willing to install a fairly strong current in your aquarium. It will mimic a South-East Asian riverbed biotope and should therefore ideally be heavily planted. Keeping a planted aquarium is actually easier than keeping a non-planted one since the plants will remove waste products from the water and help you keep the levels of oxygen up. Ask your local fish store for sturdy plant species that will thrive under normal aquarium lighting and require no additional carbon dioxide or fertilizers. This Asia Riverbed setup is inhabited by 15 Zebra Danios, 10 Tiger barbs, 4 Tinfoil barbs and 1 Red Tail Shark. The Red Tail Shark is not a true shark; it is a shark minnow that lives in freshwater only.

The quote is from this article
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/selecting.php

I recommend reading it, and the ebook if you havent already. Hopefully this helps give you some ideas. You can manipulate the numbers a bit as your tank is bigger than this, but this should be a start

rangur1
06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
thats an impressive array of fish. one i know of is bala sharks but they like to school - you would need 4-5 and they, like tinfoil barbs grow to 12-14 inches.
there is also giant danios, grow to 4 inches, schooling fish. their from india.

and my favorite-rainbowfish, 6 of these really shine. hope this helps

Arouse
07-01-2009, 02:45 AM
Clarification: I'm not planning to get all of the fish I listed as options, that's the part I want advice about. Which of these have you had/liked? Are there any you'd skip and why?

mac
07-01-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm getting a 125g going and could use some suggestions for stocking with an asian theme. It has a Fluval 405 canister (340gph) and an Emperor 400 biowheel (400gph). My water is very soft, slightly acidic and has nitrate of ~10ppm, so I'd like to have fish that won't require too much water treatment.

Sounds like a great tank. Just having Nitrate in the water dose not sound good. Is that from the tap? IMO I would get it checked.

Current inhabitants:
6 golden barbs (staying)
3 minnows (used for cycling)
3 otos (moving to a different tank soon).

The Barbs will be fine. IMO cycling with fish is not that great. But up to the individual.

Rosy barbs
khuli loaches
panda garra
gold, giant, snakeskin or thicklipped gourami
ruby shark
peacock goby (gudgeon)
asian stripped, hummingbird or pearl catfish
peacock eel
celestial pearl danio
siamese algae eater

The Rosy Barbs are fine. The Kulies are great. As for the panda garra would work. But make sure you have your tank set up in a river theme with more of a Hill Stream type tank theme. Just be careful with other bottom dwellers that there is no territorial issues. Also IMO I would only keep one of these fish, in your tank, so they don't fight each other, giving problems to your tank.
The Shark is a great fish, very well suited if the tank is very well planted, and full of logs and caves for it to hide in. As for the Peacock Eel I would not get it. YOu would end up with trouble from your smaller fish getting eaten.
As for the CPD I would not get them either. IMO they need a fish tank with small very peaceful fish in a well planted tank. As for the SAE's they are great fish. IMO more than 5 of them is much better. And the more you have the cleaner the tank, and the more active they are.

As for the Gouramis, I would not get the Giant, or the Snake Skin, but the others yes.

So I could use some advice on compatibility, stocking numbers, top zone inhabitants (it seems like I have too many bottom dweller options) or other super cool asian fish I may have overlooked.
Thanks!

As for the stocking, everything bare for the Garra, Shark, Gouramis, I would get 6+ plus of each. As for the Shark and Garra only one of each. With the Gouramis I would make sure you get the right sexing ration f 1 male to 2-3 females.

As for other fish, you might want to look at Rainbows and Rasboras.

mac

Arouse
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Yep, that's the nitrate level from the tap. Checked it after several water changes to get the nitrates down. Well water.

Thanks for the tips. So for the gourami, 1 male, 2-3 females . . . would you only put one species in the tank, or is it okay to do two sets like this?

Will bamboo shrimp mix okay?

Wetpets
07-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Rosy barbs
khuli loaches
celestial pearl danio
siamese algae eater

Thanks!

Hi, just from my encounters with these fish:

Rosies: Can be fin-nippers in groups and may have a go at your Gouramis

Khulis: Get 6 or more, then you will see them!

Celestials - One of my favourite fish - if you get these don't get other topwater fish - seeing them in a big school is amazing, they really do lose impact when mixed up with other topwater species.

Siamese: There is a golden algae eater that will bring some great colour to your tank... Just some suggestions.

Most of all, whatever you do, have fun!

Arouse
07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Picked up the rosy and cherry barbs today, along with a few kuhli loaches . . . will get a few more kuhlis next week if all is well.

Mac-- why not snakeskin gouramis?

mac
07-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Picked up the rosy and cherry barbs today, along with a few kuhli loaches . . . will get a few more kuhlis next week if all is well.

Mac-- why not snakeskin gouramis?

For me I have heard they can at times eat small fish, although they don't tend to. And also they you would limit the stocking of your tan for schooling fish if you got them. That is me any way.

mac