PDA

View Full Version : Parasite in Ghost Shrimp

mbmatherne
03-15-2007, 05:07 AM
:confused:
One of the 4 shrimp, in my 10 gallon aquarium with a variety fo tetras, had a white stringy thing you could clearly see. Being ingnorant of shrimp anatomy, I had no idea it was impending death for the shrimp and infestation of the tank.

I had previously treated for ich. Meanwhile the shrimp with the stringy thing in it's head and body disappeared and then I discovered a long white thread like writhing and coiling creature starting to burrow in the substrate. It has been 24 hours since I removed it to a container and it is sitill coiling and writhing. I siphoned water from the area where it was starting to burrow and I think I have discovered offspring.

What is it and what can be done?!

I foolishly bought these shrimp from Wal-Mart and of course don't even think of asking them what is it and what to do.

Chrona
03-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Well, it's not ich, thats for sure. Can you take a picture? It almost sounds like planaria, but I've never heard of them infesting a host to reproduce....

cocoa_pleco
03-16-2007, 04:22 AM
could be a parasite, but shrimp shed. Are you sure whats wiggling is just in current and not live? it could be dead shed.

mbmatherne
03-16-2007, 06:06 AM
I have found the empty head of the shrimp which was it's host.

This long (appx. 6 inches) white, thread-like creature is isolated in an unused betta cup with a cover. It has been 48 hrs. and it is still moving, slowly but deliberately coilng and stretching. There is 0 water movement and it definetily has a "head" end with which it seems to be searching. Both ends have the appearance of having been sharpened. The "head" end has a perceptible bump that distinguishes it from the other less purposeful end. It is absolutely moving on its own, no doubt about it.

I am merely observing this creature to see how long it will live on it's own with nothing for support other than the water it is in. This is just another life form to consider albeit not very attractive and feasting on those which we admire. To discover what it is and its habits will help to avoid it in the future.

FlatHead
11-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Your parasitic worm sounds most definitely like some type of nematode. A six-inch worm is awesomely huge to fit inside of a ghost shrimp!

cocoa_pleco
11-11-2007, 04:26 PM
lol, this thread is old, its from march

Dave-id
11-23-2007, 02:10 AM
For the record, those parasites are pretty common in ghost shrimp. Almost every batch I've seen arrive at the pet stores usually has at least one or two shrimp with a parasite in it.

beautdogs
03-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Hi all,
Just joined after googling "ghost shrimp" and "nematode" and finding this discussion.
One of my four ghost shrimp has one of these parasites too. Weird. I imagine it's not long for this world... hope this worm is host-specific!

Cheers
Sue

Drumachine09
03-18-2008, 01:45 AM
OLD thread man.