PDA

View Full Version : Suitable habitat for small goldfish?

spp
06-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a large porcelain fishbowl that is between 10 and 50 gallons (probably in the thirties, 10 gallons if I use bottom diameter, 50 if I use top diameter). I want to use this bowl as a goldfish tank for when the goldfish are small (when they grow up I'll think of something else like a pond). I plan to only have a black moor and a bubble eye. Is this bowl enough for the young fish? The bowl is going to be in my back yard and if this bowl is suitable, about what age should I remove the goldfish and transfer them to a pond? This bowl will be like an ordinary aquarium, but outside subjegated to the forces of nature. There won't be a heater as Houston is always in the 90s and 100s now a days but there will be a filter as soon as I find one that fits on bowl properly.

Edit: also, i know that if I don't something the water temperature will be in the mid 70s and low 80s even if I keep it shaded. How do I lower the temperature without using a chiller?

robflanker
06-29-2009, 10:08 PM
50 gallons? that is an absolutely enormous "bowl"! Are you sure on the math?

90-100 degrees is way too hot, you'll cook the fish! They are cold water fish, and the water wont be very cold in that temp, unless you get a $300 chiller, and then you are just pouring money away. In regard to your edit, you keep it inside.

spp
06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
haha. Yep, this is how I calculated it. The fishbowl is like a cone with a flat end. If I assumed the bowl was a cylinder and calculated the volume based off of the diameter of the top circle then I get around 50 gallons. However, the bottom of the bowl is a much smaller circle which resulted in my calculation of 10 gallons. It's a huge bowl indeed and I can't take it home or move it anywhere once it's filled with water. I know goldfish are cold water animals and during the winter the temp is perfect. I think I'll go with shade and try to keep the temp at around 70 ish. The bowl use to hold a palm tree that I recently planted in the yard as it out grew the bowl.

smaug
06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
No,it will not work.The temps will get too hot and the water will foul very quickly.You could put some aquatic plants in it and a small pump for circulation and possibly stock a handful of rosy red feeder minnows [5-6].

Wild Turkey
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
It has to be in the shade, and have a filter before it even becomes a bad idea LOL

Seriously though, I would bite the bullet and get a 55, OR build the pond first.

robflanker
06-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Spp - I echo Smaug and WT. This just isnt feasible. Texas is just way to hot for your idea. A pond is the best bet if you are fixated on goldfish outdoors, and i'll let Smaug-the-pond-master handle that.

You need a filter first off, and if you wish to use this bowl/tank/thing then you ought to move it inside where you can regulate the temperatures better

spp
06-30-2009, 12:39 AM
True, a dead fish is not a good fish. I don't plan to get the fish until everything is sorted out, our stores always has a good stock so its not like I'm going to miss out on them if I don't buy today. I might start digging a place for a pond. Are there "concealed" chillers available for the pond? The only chillers I know of look like a mini fridge and isn't very aesthetically pleasing especially if one is protruding from the back of a pond.

smaug
06-30-2009, 12:48 AM
I chiller will not work for an outdoor pond unless it would be huge.A unit such as that would be in the thousands of dollars and cost an arm and a leg to run.You could fasion your own chilling system by using plumbing run through the ground buried deeply but it would need to be an extensive amount of plumbing creating the need for a very large pump.Put the pond in the shade of your house and have plantings of shrubs or trees around it to keep it 100% shaded all day and you could have some temp tolerant fish such as comet.Koi or fancy goldys would not do well.Make the pond at least 350 gallons so as to have sufficient water volume to avoid rapid heating,make it deep for the same reasons,3ft would be a good start.

spp
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I see, yeah I don't have that type of money to throw around. I've seen many comet/common/koi ponds but why are fancys not recommended? I can kind of see why bubble eyes won't do so good but what about telescopes? I think my pond will be 3-4 feet deep and about 5 - 7 feet wide, still need to find out where the power lines are so I don't screw up my house...

smaug
06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Fancys are more prone to heat stress.Comets are very hardy,koi get far too big for such a small pond.

spp
07-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Ahh, I didn't know fancies had a lower tolerance of heat. I'll mix comets and common ones then, probably like no more than 5 total fish.