PDA

View Full Version : how many???

rookie
06-29-2009, 05:56 AM
how many tiger barbs can i put in a 20g long if they will be the only thing in the tank

Jacko
06-29-2009, 06:10 AM
I wouldn't go over a dozen... depends on the filtration but IMO, a school of 10 would do nicely

PostalPenguin
06-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Depends if the tank is planted or not. I have a heavily planted 20g with 7 tiger barbs and I could probably increase it to 12 without problems. They are pretty clean fish and until I added the platys I never saw any fish waste.

If you aren't planning on planting it I would only go with 7-8.

Sharkman
06-29-2009, 07:33 PM
yep I agree with these guys. Sometimes tiger barbs can be really messy eaters, but 8 would be good and a few more if it is planted. Planted meaning more than 2-4 plants.

jaysee
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't do more than 12. While the length is there, tigers are whole tank swimmers and there isn't the height to support more. I would (did) space them out so you get 5 or 6 to start, then get a few more, then a few more. Personally, I think a tiger barb species tank looks so much better with fish of different sizes in the school. You don't have to worry about the big ones picking on the little ones...the little ones step right in line.

hali_fish
06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Personally, I think a tiger barb species tank looks so much better with fish of different sizes in the school. You don't have to worry about the big ones picking on the little ones...the little ones step right in line.

I agree. My smaller TB have no problem with the larger ones. I have only a school of 8 right now, but I am planning to get a few more. Also, I find it looks nice to have a few different colored TB. The different colors and sizes do look really neat.:shappy:

jaysee
06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree. My smaller TB have no problem with the larger ones. I have only a school of 8 right now, but I am planning to get a few more. Also, I find it looks nice to have a few different colored TB. The different colors and sizes do look really neat.:shappy:

I'm one of the "one color morph per tank" crowd. There's nothing wrong with keeping regulars with greens and albinos, other than a personal preference on how it looks.

rangur1
06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
i would say 8 ,these fish are a heavy bodied 2.5-3 inch fish. more than that and water quality gets tough to maintain.

marksuttonjr
07-03-2009, 05:39 AM
I have a 35 with 10 TB and 8 goldfish in it. I started putting TB in the already cycled tank about 2 months ago. I started with 4, added 4 more a few days later, along with the goldfish. 4 of the barbs were over a year old when I started. After about a week 1 of the older barbs died. About a week after that I added 3 more female TB in hopes that they would spawn. I do think that they spawned, but think that my filter sucked up the eggs since there are no young. I have done NO water changes, and all levels are still good.

jaysee
07-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I think your goldfish could have ate them. 8 goldfish? Are they feeders?